Did I mess up my chances

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Evox760, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Evox760

Evox760 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    I recently called a company that I'm interested in attending for my cdl and training,don't worry it's not CRE...

I mention to them that I had received a speeding ticket 20 over about 6 months ago,they told me to try back in 3 years.

I go down to the dmv and obtain my MVR and to my surprise there us nothing in there and I also called 2 court houses from my state that I live and where the ticket was issued but no record of it it their system,I did pay it in full.

Should I even mention this on my apps?

And since I did admit this to them and told them about how it's not showing on my record and they still stated they won't take me for 3 years and they saved my number and first name should I apply online and change my number and not mention the ticket.

And like I stated I called 2 court houses in my city where I was pulled over and ticketed and checked my 3 and 5 year MVR and It states I'm clean and clear.

Thank you to all that answer

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try another company. I know a guy that got a DUI in Virginia and it never did show up on his MVR. He checked his MVR before applying to any company after that.
    Even if a company finds out later about the ticket and fires you, they can't take your cdl. That cdl belongs to you, not the training company. Several other companies will hire you even if you were fired. If you want to be a trucker, you'll find a way to do it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  4. Evox760

Apr 28, 2017
    Have any good companies in mind,needs to have training and I can't do any that require a hair test?

Also did your buddies company ever find out about his dui?

5. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Okay.. you have been busy with this today, you have a couple threads started dealing with this..

A ticket may not show up on your MVR, but show up on a background check... may also not show up on either..

If I were you, I would get my MVR and run my own background check on myself.. there are plenty of websites to have that done...

Once you get the results you will know what is or is not in them...

CrappieJunkie and Evox760 Thank this.
  6. Evox760

Apr 28, 2017

Yes I I'm trying to triple check everything before making the leap.

And I have my 5 year MVR and it's clean and also have contacted the court and there's no record of it through them either,found out the backround check,checks the driving history but through the dmv which is showing nothing

7. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Okay.. so you have all the information you need to decide what you will do.. if you feel confident that it won't be discovered and you are comfortable not saying anything about it then do that..

But it seems to me like you want someone to be a scapegoat for you.. tell you to lie and then if it comes back on you it won't be your fault because someone you don't really know on a forum told you to not say anything.

Time to grow up.. your wanting the keys to a big truck.. you need to gather the information you need to make your own choices and accept the consequences.. good or bad..

8. Evox760

Apr 28, 2017

Opposite to what you have said,I can careless about justifying my actions or placing blame on others answers that I receive here,nor do I need someone to say it okay lie,my soul reason to come on here is for people that have experienced this or knows of someone that has to gone through this to put my mind at ease and I don't jump the gun without knowing all the angles.

And i see it on these forums alot about people saying what you have about wanting to confirmation and the okay from people here to lie,I can care less about lieng as long as I get a job the company themselves lie to us all the time about certain things,on top of the fact you go to any other job and those ridiculous questions they ask are never answered with truth,at the end of the day it's about number #1 and getting a job to pay the bills,not like I murdered someone I was in a hurry and a drove over the speed limit like 100% of the world has done and will do in a constant basis,I just end up getting caught at the time of doing it.

9. Scoots

Scoots Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I'm really surprised they would take a pass on a single speeding ticket unless it was something like 30+ over. That can be as bad as DUI/OWI in terms of finding a job... especially starting out. 20 over is gonna raise a few eyebrows but somebody will pick you up... and they might still be a decent company. Watch it though... out of everything employers look at speeding is one of the most serious (though the ridiculous part is the nature of the job encourages it).

I hate to be that guy... and I got plenty of speeding tickets when I was younger but I can tell you in a truck its dangerous and slightly idiotic. Remember you got at least $150k in somebody elses equipment and freight on you at all times so I'd expect some questions about it.

Plenty of dead cowboys out there... speeding 9 times out of 10... Be safe. Nothing in this job worth dying over... and theres always someone looking to hire if you keep a good record.

Evox760 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When you talk about something that happened and someone can prove it by records of your conviction, be it murder, DWI, Speeding tickets whatever... then it may be a barrier to hiring.

For things that you know happened but did not get convicted of.. it did not happen. Keep your mouth shut. That is not lying. It's literally a story that starts with "One fine day...." you don't tell these stories to companies looking to hire you. They are fixing to put you into a 200K equiptment and add upwards of a million dollar value load onto your trailer for people who have absolutely no time or patience for really bad drivers who wont be somewhere on a future date and hour regardless of your problems in life.

I was a speeder in my time. I had a car that wont quit. And it did not. That engine in it should have blown but it never did thankfully. And the state police knew #### well that I did this or that but that was not the problem. Tickets sure. plenty of that. Little ones. They add up. Ive paid my punishments.

Where I am in life there are stories and there are stories that can be backed with records for any law enforcement or recruiter in a few minutes searching. Im not worried about those.

The industry has gotten much more difficult for those who break the law. Speeding at 30 over, you say it's not the end of the world? Buddy I hope you quit doing that. One of those fine days you might be presented with school children crossing the walkway too close to stop.

Tell them that the world never stops turning when sitting in jail because you like to speed. Especially when they are no longer with us.

Does any of this sink in? Im not your opponet. But once in a while someone has to sit you down and tell you what for. Just like other daddies sat me down and told me what for years ago. Shape up. You will be successful.

If not? Ahab will be driving your truck next week for half your pay and no knowledge of the new country he immigrated in a month ago. YOU will be at home wondering now what? Don't be that driver.

Scoots Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.