Didn't see this coming...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheSnowman, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I suggest getting your policy out and looking at the numbers. Are you driving longer distances? Insurance carriers rate by risk. This could also be a mistake. Speak to the company or the agent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I read a financial article that suggests everyone review their auto insurance every 6 months for potential savings.
    I get quotes annually from different agents.

TheSnowman and tscottme Thank this.
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I've been seeing reports of people using the roadside/towing aspect of their auto insurance and getting an increase in rates after they call for using the assistance. Many insurance companies regard this as a claim within the policy even though you pay a separate fee for the service.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Insurance companies don't exist to pay claims. They exist to own big buildings and sponsor golf tournaments.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If your credit score is in the high 700s the increase probably isn't credit-related. Did something change in your credit file recently. You can see you credit report and see your credit score online. You are entitled to AT LEAST 1 free credit report per year from each of the 3 big credit agencies (Equifax, Experian, Transunion). Some people rotate getting their free report among the agencies through out the year so they always have a relatively current report just around the corner instead of get 3 report once per year. Maybe someone is using your credit/identity and this is the first sign. I keep my credit frozen, do not use LifeLock as an alternative to credit freeze.

Is it possible that the extra $300 is just an artifact of switching from semi-annual to annual payments? I don't think Amica does this, but a growing number of auto insurance providers are now routinely increasing rates on long-time customers because they recognize many long-time customers are staying out of habit and the price is irrelevant.

TheSnowman and faux_maestro Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I had a bunch of tools stolen off a job site once when I was an electrical contractor.

Notwithstanding the fact they made me out to be the criminal ( Hartford), I had to furnish police reports and receipts of purchase.

And they had to match the schedule I had provided the insurance company ( yearly).

Then I had to do a sworn statement.

Total value was about $18,000.

The first thing they do is depreciate everything.

Got a check for $6500.

Now I dumped my Harley once on 80, doing about 80, and it had like $6000 damage including recovery.

Progressive came to my home, covered every cent. But I'd had the policy at $400 month for like 4 years.

faux_maestro and tscottme Thank this.
  8. tscottme

Yes, this is true. I think Allstate is famous for this. They offer almost free roadside service and then penalize you as much for using the service to jumpstart your car or unlock a door as much as if your had a crash in your car. Some insurance companies will boost your rates if you call and inquire about the possibility of a claim.
    DON'T USE CAR INSURANCE EXCEPT FOR REAL CLAIMS.

TheSnowman and faux_maestro Thank this.
  9. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    When I switched to Progressive, I saved $800 a year. It was crazy because I saw a commercial on TV that said save up to $800. I was like woah, that commercial was legit. Been with them for 2 years so far, good stuff.

10. tscottme

I'm happy with Progressive for my car coverage.

TheSnowman Thanks this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Ok, said this in another thread, but I am licensed to sell insurance in FL. Don't use it anymore, but I am. Rates are pretty much going to keep going up. Your CDL isn't actually causing any issues. Things that are looked at are annual mileage, at fault accidents, driving record, and even age, to some degree. But here is the thing. Insurance is a "shared risk pool." What does this mean? You and the other customers of XYZ insurance company are pooling your premiums to pay for the claims in your "area." Insurance companies don't collect premiums as a profit. They by law have to keep that money on hand to pay for potential losses. Before 2016 companies were on average paying out $.97 for every $1 of premium collected. After 2016 it has flipped to paying around $1.16 out for every $1 collected. Why? Healthcare costs, new tech more expensive to repair, bigger legal fees...etc. So that is why pretty much every insurance company is raising rates.

I'd look at your coverage, make sure you're not over insuring yourself. Make sure your mileage is right. Can even fudge it if not in like CA where you have to "swear" to it. Try to find a company that does year policies, not 6 months. That way your locked in for a year. Look for discounts you are missing. But other than those things you're probably being hit with either more accidents in your area, or less customers in that area. Meaning fewer of you are sharing the "risk." Or could be all of the above.

Accidental Trucker and TheSnowman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.