Diesel engine oil shortage predictions, will it happen?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by vanlith, Jul 18, 2022.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Gallons of diesel engine oil at the Co-op here today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Talked to my supplier. No issues getting Delo. Talked about 15w-40, 10w-30, vs 5w-40. They agreed about the 10w-30 and run 40 in their trucks. They mention 5w-40 which they run for cold start protection and 40w coverage vs 30 in the harder conditions. They did admit I would loose more in between than just running 15w-40. So I am going to try out 5w-40 XSP full syn Delo.

vanlith Thanks this.
  4. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    I would suggest to try 0w40 if your looking for the ultimate cold weather start diesel oil although it depends where you run as maybe -54F is not an issue where you travel as your normally good for about 15 degrees F better using 0w vs 5w.

5. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I am not ready to trust 0w-40. I have a lot to lose if that experiment goes bad… How has your experience been with 0w-40 in your trucks? How many years have you been running it and what type of engines?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    vanlith Thanks this.
  6. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    Hi Fuse....no i am just a normie not even with a car at this time but i have driven 5 tons in the past. I did not know a thing about Diesel Engine Oil or DEF ect. until 4 weeks ago today saturday june 25th when this Diesel engine oil shortage subject 1st surfaced a few days before that + have been on a crash course since then but i am a fast learner + have learned a lot.
    I can only say what i have read and also seen in videos along with talking to automotive shop employee's + a few owners of these shops + 0w40 seems to be the best out there nipping 5w only by a nose at the finish line so i would like to know/learn why you might be a little afraid to put the best oil out there in your truck that is essentially the exact same as the 5w that you are willing to do?

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The one place I worked we put 0W-40 in everything year round and we see temperatures in the range of -30°C to +30°C. Never heard or seen of an issue attributed to it.

If you're never (or rarely) in areas with cold weather I wouldn't spend the extra money for 0W-40. Not worth the expense for protection that isn't needed.

8. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Getting at reman X15 installed is about 60K. So with that kind of expense some are conservative about changing from what they know has worked in the past. If we all rushed into things we would go out of business, same said if we don’t change as well. Remember, the “best oil” may not be the best oil for a particular engine. A emissions engine benefits from low ash from low or no levels of Zinc. A 3406 can benefit from the zinc in aiding lubrication. Best oil statement can be tongue in cheek.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  9. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    Ok guys TXS...have any of you been aware at this time of a DEF shortage to any extent in the circles you travel in...not to the degree of the Diesel engine shortage now to some degree + about to get much worse in a month or so but i have been looking around here for DEF + online in dif. stores + its very hit + miss for the 2.5 standard size gallon in automotive stores but that of course is much Dif. then at filling stations + buying in bulk barrels for fleets.

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Have had no trouble getting DEF in the 2.5 gal jugs. Order it in the AM and its delivered before the end of the day. Mind you we might go thru 2 or 3 jugs a month at most.

11. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    Tried mock ordering some Air1 up here in Canada. They were out for many days this week in some stores + now has a few 2.5 gallon jugs but are limiting sales to 3 max or less due to low inventory. The UREA shortage problem from russia + china affecting mostly the USA i think will become serious at some point + will spill over to Canada as the USA is now dep. on Canada more then ever for UREA + Canada may have to go short to some degree themselves to appease the USA's need for UREA because we need them a hell of a lot more then they need us up here in Canada.....as i have discussed this subject also with people in the know at Part Source + Napa but I think things will plug along ok for the DEF supply a few more months but again spotty here + there as it is now but a month or two after the DEO shortage becomes critical in Sept. or Oct. aka around oct. or nov. for DEF it very well could be the 2....of the old 1-2 PUNCH.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.