Diesel engine oil shortage predictions, will it happen?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by vanlith, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I only have one Truck, don’t need a Truckload of oil, or even a pallet. If I did I’d go straight to the Manufacturer. I doubt any supplier can beat $9.49 gal.

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    If you aren’t having a shortage and can get the oil you want for the price you like, carry on. You are doing excellent!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    It says 5 case limit but not sure what that means
    I put 5 in my cart online and wife did the same
    Then while there to pick it up they had 8 cases left in stock and she bought those also

I should be good for awhile

Rideandrepair and vanlith Thank this.
  5. Kairen0001

Kairen0001 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2021
    So nobody in Phoenix has synthetic oil. Went to Volvo dealer for PM and they put shell t4 conventional crap :mad:
    It’s time for another pm and I even don’t know where to go and what kind of oil to use now…:(

vanlith Thanks this.
  6. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    So your saying you cannot find T5 or 6 diesel engine oil or full synthetic in PHX?

I know up here in Central Canada T5 + 6 mostly cannot be found in 5 gallon pails. A dealer of a large auto part store tells me he cannot get any pails + that has been that way for well over a month. Only the 1 gallon varieties are around + they are running out or spotty to find week to week for now anyway.
    However a possible bigger problem i see now on the selves is the shortage of DEF. Some comes in but is snaped up by small trucking firms he tells me which means that the Urea shortage coming from the East that was talked up a few months ago is manifesting itself largely now.
    I suspect there is supplies of both diesel engine oil + DEF in certain areas of North America + Europe but less in others with both being whittled down greatly in the next few months EVERYWHERE as shortages themselves + panic buying occurs (something like food at groc. stores in the near future).

7. Kairen0001

Dec 17, 2021
    Yes, nobody has it. Walmart sometimes has it in 1 gallon , but not enough to do an oil change ….
    I didn’t hear about def shortages…. Is it real???? That’s sooo stupid. Nobody will be able to drive without it:mad:

vanlith Thanks this.
  8. vanlith

vanlith Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2022
    Yes it is very real. The vast maj. of UREA which makes up 32.5% of the mixture that goes into DEF comes from Russia, Ukraine, China, India, Egypt + a few others are not coming west anytime soon.....so unlike Diesel Engine Oil that will completely run out in the next few months due to the additives to make it whole which have not been made since June 2022 + will not begin to be made again until march or so 2023 at the earliest UREA mostly from Canada + the USA will trickle in enough to keep some trucks moving somewhat but it will be touch + go for other than fleets + others who have been stock piling DEF + Diesel Engine Oil for that matter in the last few months. My estimate a few months ago that by late nov. 2022 very few Trucks would be moving......well that is Off by about 2-3 months so i say by sometime very early next year the Sheet will hit the fan not to mention the latest news about 25 days of Diesel fuel left in the USA.....blood pressures will be high soon if not today in the Diesel dependent world.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just got a couple pails of 5W-40 the other day, still no problems.

Helps that I'm not brand loyal, if it meets the spec its going in.

10. Kairen0001

Dec 17, 2021
    I thought it needs 10w30, no? o_O

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

I can still get all the oil and Def I need if I buy it in 55 gallon drums. Anything less than that it's starting to get a little scarce.
    Not unavailable, just not a lot of it on the shelves compared to last year.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.