Diesel in DEF tank

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tonakis, Mar 13, 2014.

1. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Don't feel bad..

Somewhere out there, theres a prime driver who put anti-gel in their DEF tank Wonder how that worked out.

DriveItUSA and precisionpower Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    lol anti gel in the def tank

well you live and learn from mistakes, hopefully you dont learn harder than others from it. Im curious how the nozzle got in though, does your truck have a mod on the tank? Like someone else said I would never do a mod to the def tank, I have also heard of def going into the diesel but never the other way.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  4. tonakis

tonakis Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Fort LAuderdale, FL
    Wherever tjeu send me, man.

5. tonakis

Nov 27, 2012
    Fort LAuderdale, FL
    No mods. But again, I jad never seen anythimg lile that before. I saw a pump with one nozzle (the one for diesel) and a button for DEF. So I figured it must be like at a gas station - swipe your card and press which octane fuel you want to pump - 87, 91, etc. I stopped very quickly after I read on the screen $4.xx and one gallon pumped, whereas if I was actually pumping DEF price should have been just under $3. THEN I went inside to announce in front of everybody what a greenhorn I am and ask for help. Some girl went out and out of a hidden compartment in the actual pump she took out the DEF nozzle. Who would have thunk!

6. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    well good luck and hopefully you didnt damage too much, let us know what happens and the price of the damage if they share the prices with you

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Look,man....this is just another example of a company throwing a set of keys at a driver and telling him to get hooked and get gone. They didn't take the time to explain how it worked or how to fill it up......in my book, that's their bad. I guess now they'll have to find the time to fix it. Personally, I think explaining it to you probably would have taken less time, but, hey, what do I know? I'm just another stupid driver.

Tell 'em to bite it and just what I said......."Hey man, had you explained this to me, we wouldn't be standing here right now. Sorry, bro...."

DriveItUSA, skyviper73 and Sly Fox Thank this.
  8. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    So are you saying you finished fueling hung the pump up pushed the def button, and diesel still came out. Something is not right here. Or you finished fueling your truck. Didn't hang up the pump then pushed the def button, and some how now def is going to come out? Then you ask questions later. Still drive the truck until it act up. I'm guessing you didn't call the company at the time you put the diesel in. Uhhhh Yeah I don't know if you will have a job by the end of next week. Might want to start putting your name out there in some online apps.

scottied67, double yellow and Vito Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Or, he wanted diesel, started the diesel pump and inserted it into the first filler cap he could unscrew and oddly enough it only held 1 gallon before over-running, thus leading to the discovery of the problem. let's not make the situation any more difficult then it needs to be. Why would he start a DEF pump if he never used DEF before and didn't have a clue about it's use?

10. tonakis

Nov 27, 2012
    Fort LAuderdale, FL
    That button apparently does not do anything, unless you use the DEF nozzle (the one im the hidden compartment). If it comes to me being fired - c'est la vie. It's almost about time to move on anyways. I am not worried. I can't turn back time. But they can start teaching their drivers amd prevent this from happening again. I never thought this could happen to me. But again, I wouldn't have a degree if I didn't go to school either.

Patrickm213 Thanks this.
  11. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Any DEF in the fuel tanks in the newer trucks with the DD15 WILL DO DAMAGE to the engine. Its about 10k worth of damage to the engine. A couple of drivers did that in my company and they sent a fleet wide message about it. Whether or not your company will fire you, take it out of your pay, or nothing I don't know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.