[Difference?] Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator Vs Fuel Pump Actuator

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by John.doe0289, Feb 11, 2020.

1. John.doe0289

John.doe0289 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Fuel System Components 3.png

What is the difference?

I understand that the Fuel Pump Actuator tries to set rail pressure depending on output of the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. But what happens in a non-bypass Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator?

What happens when the fuel is blocked from exiting the outlet ports on the Fuel Heads of the Hi-Pressure Pump? There doesn't seem to be a relief to tank? Maybe in the Fuel manifold?
    1. Fuel supply from tank
    2. Priming pump
    3. Fuel pump gear pump inlet
    4. Fuel pump gear pump
    5. Fuel pump gear pump outlet
    6. Pressure-side fuel filter inlet
    7. Pressure-side fuel filter location (4-micron)
    8. Pressure-side fuel filter outlet
    9. High-pressure fuel pump inlet
    10. Fuel pump pressure regulator
    11. Fuel pump actuator
    12. High-pressure fuel pump outlets
    13. High-pressure fuel rail supply
    14. Fuel rail
    15. Fuel pressure sensor
    16. High-pressure relief valve and drain
    17. High-pressure injector supply lines
    18. High-pressure fuel connector
    19. Fuel injector
    20. Fuel injector drain check valve
    21. Fuel drain manifold thermal recirculation valve
    22. Fuel pump drain
    23. Fuel return to tank
    24. High-pressure fuel pump.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The commonrail pressure relief valve is on the end of the rail. It's not called out on your diagram. It is located at the #16 relief valve drain line.

D.Tibbitt, pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. John.doe0289

Feb 4, 2020
    Yeah, the Fuel Pump Actuator routes fuel to the CR, and if Rail Pressure exceeds a certain value the Relief valve on the CR drains to the Fuel Manifold. But I was asking about the #11 Fuel Pump Actuator, and #10 Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    #12 is the outlets. If you are talking about #10 it controls the "medium" pressure" in the pump that feeds the HP pumping units. #11 controls amount of fuel entering the the high pressure pumping unit, this controls the effective stroke which controls amount and pressure of common rail.

pushbroom, SAR and John.doe0289 Thank this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I think the OP is asking if the Nexgen pump was dead headed before the commonrail, where would the fuel pressure relief? inside the pump? ....with no return.

I was going to dig further, busier than a 1 armed wall paper hanger at the moment.

7. John.doe0289

Feb 4, 2020
    Yeah. I meant #10. And I just found a video on a MB CR engine. The Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator routes fuel back to the inlet of the gear pump. Seems kind of strange because I am not sure how that relieves pressure from the gear pump. But... yeah. And by effective stroke you mean the barrel and plunger movement in the High Pressure Pump, right?

8. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Yes, the movement of the plunger. Here is description directly from Cummins of fuel flow which you may have already read.
    A priming pump is used for priming the gear pump at start-up. The priming pump runs for approximately 60 seconds after key ON and any time the ECM detects engine speed of 400 rpm or less. Once the engine is started, the gear pump is able to maintain prime without any assistance from the lift pump.

Fuel flows through the priming pump to the gear pump. The fuel passes through a 4 micron, pressure-side filter. Filtered fuel is then fed to the high-pressure fuel pump through an 86-micron filter located in the pump body at the high-pressure pump inlet.

The high-pressure fuel pump head actuator housing contains an air-bleed fitting and fuel pump actuator. The air-bleed orifice fitting in the fuel pump head actuator housing aids in purging air from the fuel supply. Because of the air-bleed orifice fitting, some fuel supplied by the gear pump will return to drain at all times.

The fuel pump actuator is opened, or closed, by the ECM to maintain the appropriate fuel rail pressure. Fuel metered past the fuel pump actuator enters the high-pressure fuel pump inlet drilling, flows past the inlet check valve, and fills the pumping chambers. When the camshaft pushes the pumping plunger upward, fuel reaches rail pressure and causes the outlet check valve to lift. Fuel then enters the outlet drillings of the fuel pump and exits the high-pressure fuel lines to the fuel rail.

9. John.doe0289

Feb 4, 2020
    I found this video that goes through the components of a common rail system.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  10. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Still remember first time I dealt with common rail on an ISL. Truck died on road with low rail pressure faults. Had towed in. Started the troubleshooting and pulled head off the HP pump, and wow looked like a creek bed with the detonated ceramic plungers! I thought, ceramic really. This was prior to me replacing multiple Mack cams with ceramic lifters. Took Cummins awhile to wise up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.