Different types of diesel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, Feb 10, 2020.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I just want to know if DOT will ask for a fuel receipt if I get inspected and my diesels are both same color? If there is a different reason I might need to keep a paper receipt for fuel pls let me know. Up until at least now I have never kept them and never needed them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Well alot has changed with being able to have things recorded electronically nowadays. Don't know if you are a company Driver or an owner operator. But in the old days you better have fuel receipts to turn in to the accountant/tax man. Yes, I know today things are recorded electronically and most don't need a paper receipt, but for one of the top expenses of trucking, Yes I want a paper copy so if the electronic one ever 'poofs' "Sorry we have no record of that" happens, I've got mine.
    Alot of DOT inspectors used to ask where's the last place you fueled, then they would want to see a receipt to see if it had a time on it to try to match it up with your paper log, but alot if Truckstops didn't put a time on there just a date :)
    Wouldn't worry about them asking about a receipt unless the fuel in your truck tank was dyed red, then you could probably expect a few more questions and one serious fine!

TravR1 and PE_T Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The taxed reefer fuel reimbursement isn’t done when you file the quarterly IFTA tax. It’s done when you file your annual taxes to the IRS. I don’t remember seeing anything about reefer when I file my quarterly IFTA taxes. I was asked for my total reefer fuel gallons when filing my annual IRS taxes through ATBS.

Cabinover101 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Technically we’re supposed to, but many of us don’t nowadays. If you fueled at Love’s, PFJ, or TA/Petro you should be able to download the fuel receipts online or through their app. Other than that, most of us have a secondary receipt from our fuel cards. I believe nowadays IFTA is okay with accepting fuel reports from our fuel cards instead of actual receipts, but maybe there is a state out there that will have a problem with not having primary receipts.

bryan21384 and TravR1 Thank this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Its important that you write down your mileage every time your reefer cuts on......we dont want to pay IFTA too much....lol

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've never been inspected for my fuel or asked for fuel receipts. I heard that to be more common in the paper log days. They probably wont ask you for fuel receipts since you drive for FFE. All companies have record of fuel purchases on their fuel cards. Now dont get it twisted, I'm not saying that they wont check a truck from a big company, but if I'm a betting man, I'd say its unlikely

Cabinover101 and TravR1 Thank this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    IFTA tax isn't charged on reefer fuel (no road use tax) sales tax yes but not fuel tax.... that's why cheaper and why it's illegal to use it in the truck

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I know driver, I was only being funny. Though if IFTA could pull off a reefer tax on mileage they would

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I am just a company driver.

The Loves receipts are all on my app but I wasn't sure if DOT would accept electronic copies or if they want paper.

If I was an OO I would probably save my paper copies for an accountant. But really with what I am doing my per diem is proabably better than saving receipts and since I do not pay for fuel it doesn't matter.

But I like to know this stuff. This thread has been very informative. I appreciate everyone that participated.

Cabinover101 and PE_T Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Sorry , I know I saw it on some form. So you wouldn’t even put those gallons down on the ifta form...?

And the feds are gonna give the state tax per gallon back...?

Now you peaked my interest..... do you get the whole fed and state tax back in full....?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.