Dilemma, good customer, good service, should I ask for more $?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cheezy_smile, Sep 12, 2018.

1. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Do you have a fuel sur charge built into that fixed rate? If not I would try to get that in. That way if fuel goes up your at least clearing the same amount from the fuel only aspect.
    I would research what spot market is paying for this trip and keep in mind spot market is up a little right now. Both parties need to feel like there is value in this relationship or one will move on. And even though you might could get a little more on the spot market right now, it may not always be that way. Could be there isn’t a market for it at all. They get their value from your great service. Yours comes from what it pays plus it’s a steady gig, rain or shine. There is some value in that. But we also have a moto to live by....

whoopNride, Tug Toy and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    In retrospect I do have steady income from this account. There are positives there , but it’s not making me rich by any means. There is no fuel surcharge , just flat rate for each load. Can’t really look at the spot market , it’s an automotive contract freight

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Well you may need a much larger increase then 8%. Fuel alone has gone up a lot. And it’s fine if your not getting rich but I’ve found that when “I’m getting rich” after it’s all said and done I’m just making good money. When I’m “doing pretty steady not getting rich” I’m actually just getting by or losing. When you factor in things like truck replacement, big repairs, insurance increases, etc etc, you need to be doing very well to get ahead in this business. I think that’s why a lot of guys, not saying you! But more newer people think they are doing ok and then one day their tires are bald and they can’t afford to replace them. Next day they are gone.

Rideandrepair and Cheezy_smile Thank this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Prices do go up, I would feel them out, ask someone in the know at your shipper about a rate increase, if possible, or, put into effect a very small increase and see what happens. Or, talk to the previous truck co who had the account and see if they ever increased the rate.

Cheezy_smile and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Why 23 ? Lucky #?

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Stress how much you like doing business with them.How their best interests are also yours.How your success depends on theirs.Due to rising costs you’re trying to stay profitable.If they refuse at least you can keep account for now

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would open the door explaining to them that fuel and other things are going up in price, so you need to start with negotiation of a possible increase in the rate you get. If they value you as someone who gets the job done, you won't have an issue with them increasing the rate.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    If your leased to a Carrier then isn’t it the Carriers Contract? Wouldn’t you be negotiating your lease agreement?

10. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    It is contract, but coming up to a year of servicing them. We suppose to have yearly review of the contract with the customer.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    could it be that the company is happy with the service because its done for such a cut price rate? Oh along with the efficient delivery times.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.