Dirtiest trick ever

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Saw a YouTube video by smart trucking called dirtiest truck ever. Basically a company says they’ll get you a bus ticket and bring you to their terminal and that you got a job. When you show up they tell you it’s not going to work and they throw you to the wolves. The company won’t pay for a bus ticket to get home or get you a hotel room or even food. This is incredibly inhumane but it wouldn’t surprise me. What companies do this?. One comes to mind Werner as a recruiter from them told me not to drive to orientation that they would provide bus transportation for me. It raised a red flag for sure. That’s why I went with swift instead as I was allowed to drive to orientation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    "Allowed to drive to orientation."
    ???
    What's the standard procedure?? Work for company 5 states away and have to take their refurbished convict bus to their torture house??

4. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    A lot of drivers lie in their application,at orientation when the company digs deeper into everything,the lies starts to come up and the driver is no longer hireable.

5. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Do you have any idea how many incoming Swift drivers (newbs) I’ve passed, while they were walking across the river bridge at Memphis? After taking a bus, only to find out there was no one coming to pick them up.

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Trucking companies have absolutely zero incentive to bus in new hires, pay to put them up in a motel then send them home for no reason. That doesnt make sense.

Now that I work in the operations side of the industry and play a roll in the onboarding process for my company (I do all the road tests and peoplenet training for all new hires), i see the idiocy of "drivers" first hand. They show up and fail the drug test, they show up drunk, they show up and cant shift (we require 2 yrs experience), they show up and hit stuff during the road test, they oversleep by 3 hrs on the first day of orientation, they show up then wander off halfway thru the day. Its mind boggling. Companies invest time and money in these people and hope to get a return on that investment. They (we) do not want to lose money.

7. Southernhighways

Southernhighways Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2018
    who do you work for?

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I would suggest your screening process needs attention.

9. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018

yes this the dirtiest trick ever is to get them a long way from home normally several hundred miles then they have to find there own way home that bull**** if they pay to get them there they should pay to get them home safely to it should be the law this is not going to work

and anybody that some extra smart trucking info he is on youtube is smart over 40 years experience in this industry

10. Solo Driver

Solo Driver Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Always at least two sides to everything and your response brings up good points. I always find it incredible that any driver would travel halfway across the country flat broke with not even enough money to buy a meal let alone get home if they needed to. Whether that be from an orientation that doesn't work out or from the road after being hired for any number of reasons.

Too many people have the "THEY Disease..." they did this - they did that when most of the time the main character causing most of the problems in their life is the one staring back at them from the mirror each morning...

drvrtech77, xsetra and Nothereoften Thank this.
  11. Roguefox

Roguefox Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    I have to say in the orientations I have been to that the guys let go screwed themselves. Either they failed the drug test or just showed up whenever they finally woke up or were just flat out dirt bags. Doesn't make much business sense to pay for people to come to orientation and just then say bye for no reason.

MartinFromBC and skellr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.