Disc Brake Conversion??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by areelius, Nov 5, 2015.

1. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    I’ve had them on my 2014 389 since it was new. I love them. The only complaint I have is that I suspect the valves send more air to the trailer. I’ve been burning trailer brakes up faster the last 6years. The tractor brakes are original and over 50%. They are easy to service as I’ve had to do a few wheel seals.

Vampire, KB3MMX and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Crack pressure designed into valves apply brakes rear forward. You could have a situation applying to much.

If I bought a new ride, I would get them. But it's not cost effective to convert. Unless you wanna blow the cash.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  4. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    I agree. My next trailer will have discs.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I’ve heard that if your truck is disc you want your trailer to be disc and if your truck is drum you want your trailer to be drum I don’t know if this is true or not but I’m sure somebody can tell us! I have two contracters running for me that have disc and they sure are beating up my trailers

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Discs suck off road. Mud just eats the rotors up.

There was a good thread on class 8 air disc brakes on another forum I frequent. Not much good was spoken of them. More costly, more labour involved when having to change a rotor vs a drum etc.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If you want to buy a new truck or trailer, get disc brakes if you want them. I don’t know why you’d want to covert a old truck though.

I’m not sold on disc. The only real advantage I see is dot inspections (not having to worry about slack adjusters).

The only experience I have with disc brakes is on fire trucks. We rent part of our warehouse to an outfit that does service on fire trucks. They have all kinds of trouble with disc, and usually have to replace the caliper and rotor when doing a brake service. Now granted, most of the ones they work on are older systems, and these trucks sit a lot more than commercial trucks, but they cuss them. I think maybe the lack of regular use contributes to the calipers having problems.

8. Creswell81

Creswell81 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2020
    North Carolina
    I have driven a gas tanker hauling gas and jet and diesel fuel with disk breaks for 4 years and it stops better and faster than drum breaks. Wish i had disk breaks on my 2003 peterbilt.

9. shanman

shanman Medium Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Silverton, OR
    my tractor has drums and my trailer has discs. I don’t have a problem. Had the trailer 4 years now. Only had to replace the pads once in that time.

10. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    And how much was it? All four corners?

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm betting about $200 per axle. Seems like that's what it was for my tractor when I did them recently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.