Disclosing mental health on DOT.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Kj032417, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Well here is the thing, you are a truck driver.
    The medical provider already know your dealing with a mental disorder. :biggrin_2556::biggrin_25523::biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Yeah, you will become pretty strange spending like 100% of your working life completely alone driving down a desolate highway in the middle of the night, with no voices but the radio. Ahh, peace and solitude.

4. alexhannett

alexhannett Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2021

This is interesting. I have been diagnosed with in the past bipolar, depression, and anxiety. I only take lithium, and that's only because my doctor wanted to be cautious because of some depression during covid. But I've never had a manic episode in my life.

Also have high blood pressure, and take blood pressure medication which lows my blood pressure to a normal reading.

I also already have my TWIC card, so I passed the extensive background check for that. And since the Hazmat background check is the exact same background check as the TWIC card, I'll be able to get my Hazmat too.

My question is, like the gentleman above, should I keep all that to myself, and let the doctor try to find anything wrong? Or should I tell them any of that stuff?

Thanks.

mtoo Thanks this.
  5. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Keep it to yourself,,,DOT makes mountains out of molehills

mtoo Thanks this.
  6. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Ok I am going to be a bit different than most here. This year I had a fall in my garage (from the rafters onto the cement floor, head first) and suffered an obvious brain injury along with a abunch of nerve damage and a host of other things. After spending 2.5 months in the hospital, I finally got out and was in no condition to drive, they pulled all driving rights from me, including cars and pedal bikes. I fought my ### off to get my rights back, including commercial, after everyone told me it was never going to happen. The last straw was an expiring medical card and I wanted to do the right thing, so I went to a known hard ### place to get a 2 year, and was completely honest about everything, afterall I figured it was already in my medical history and I know full well if I make a mistake that hurts, or kills someone I am more than likely going to have to run through the ringer to not have my driving rights pulled again. I ended up getting only a 1 year, but it was because of blood pressure which has been historically good but bad since my fall, alot of that has to do with the host of meds they put me on in the hospital, while I do not agree with the BMI and sleep tests and all the other #### they pull on dot physicals the mental health and brain injury questions are pretty serious , both go largely unnoticed by99% of people but I don't think anyone should be lying about either.

REO6205 and wis bang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.