Discovered a way to play games on PC without blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Diantane, May 8, 2017.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    The laptop I bought two years ago gave me problems in my truck. It drew so much power that it constantly blew fuses (300 watts). So I started looking for a smaller computer. The notebooks only use 90 watts, but they seemed low on features.

Took me about five hours of digging, but I found a good one. Also a new 2017 version.
    This is a far cry from the low power notebooks of previous years.

Plays many high level games including Overwatch, Fallout 4, League of Legends, Minecraft, Payday 2 and others with great frame rates.

Windows 10
    I5 Intel dual core processor (7200U) 2.5 Ghz (3.1 on turbo)
    16 gig of DDR4 ram (expandable to 32)
    256 gb SSD, 1 TB hard drive
    (has no DVD drive, but there is no physical software available anymore - download only)
    Full HD 15.6" Active Matrix TFT Color LCD with Comfy View (1920x1080)
    Graphics controller - Nvidia GeForce GTX950, 2 gig dedicated ram

Only weighs 5.2 lbs

$729 on Amazon

If you go with a quad core i7, the price goes up a thousand bucks and it becomes a power hungry laptop again. The i5 meets the minimum requirements to play the games you love and you can play for hours without issues.

Bought a 300 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter to use it while the engine is on. ($170). A modified sine wave inverter like the cheap ones sold at truck stops may hurt the PC or other electronics. Otherwise the notebook will run on its batteries (up to 10 hours with turbo off. Five hours with it on). I can use the inverter or a 12 volt converter to charge up the battery as I drive.

Highway_Executive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    So ya you give us specs but what the model name man lol....

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Put away that toy and get your 10 hours sleep.

Trust me you will feel better come morning.

I am a little bit of a gamer myself and build my own desktops out of sheer cussedness. Im not going to get into specs of my desktop monster, but it's going to be very hard to transition to several tera of raid 5 space across 12 SSD's and go from 64 gig of ram to 128 on the next build. Im at the pointnow Im having the electrician replace the 15 amp plug on this wall with a T 30 amp to feed the next one.

I still use physical games. Or internet purchase downloaded games and software. But there is either a redownload backup online or a physical DVD in my area. Stores have pretty much quit selling games for PC.

I think they too will quit selling laptops in favor of cell phones and tablets soon enough. By the time they get that little any old truck can feed them.

5. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    2017 Acer 15.6" 1080P gaming and performance laptop

I get 8 hours to sleep and 2 hours to play. If all you do is drive and sleep you'll go insane

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.