Disgusting interview story.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by wastetrucks, Oct 13, 2012.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Companies frown on the word UNION.Next interview don't at all mention union.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    i wouldve never mentioned it lol

4. Keyster

Keyster Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    In the world of non-union employment discrimination is a fact of life.
    They might discriminate against you because of your manner or something about your personality.
    They might discriminate against you because your a white male and the local EEOC is pressuring them to "diversify".
    They might discriminate against you because you remind them of someone they hate.
    It's not the same as having a union boss put a good word in that you're a good fella.
    You can't go the EEOC and file a discrimination complaint against them because their preference is for people that have never been union. You can only file a complaint based on race and/or gender.

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Next time, qoute a salary just a bit higher than what you are expecting the company to pay you, and shut the heck up about unions! Unions are in the crosshairs of many companies out there, and they will not hire former union workers no matter what. They would rather hire convicted axe murderers than former union, so keep the union stuff to yourself.

Qouting a salary slightly higher than what you are expecting leaves a bit of negotiating room. If they play along, you may end up with higher pay than anticipated. If they hold a hard line, you will have to decide if the pay is worth your time. This is purely situation-specific.

6. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I will agee...We had a guy at FedEx ground when I worked there trying to form a union. A lot of us joined in for it to happen. At one point FedEx started taking away guys routes who were in favor of it, then everyone backed off. since they didnt want to lose their routes. Ever since I left this year to work for YRC they havent asked me to come back at all. When I was at CWF they called me every week to return again. Friends at FDX told me management doesnt want me coming in and trying to set up a union like another guy last year did

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    I think it was more the "That company went under a few years ago." statement IF you haven't been working since then.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The worst company I ever drove for was union; that's why I left after a short time. When looking for another job, the interviewer would say,"that company you're leaving is union!" I would respond, "that's exactly why I am leaving and if this new company ever goes union, I'll leave it also." It's what they want to hear, and it was also the truth.

9. wastetrucks

wastetrucks Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2012
    NJ
    No, I have been working since, and in a non union job. As for "just shut the hell up", it wasn't like I said "I love unions, it was the greatest ever". It just sorta slipped out. I told them i had no problem working in a non union company, no problem at all. Oh well i can see people are more mad at me than the situation. Just forget about it. I didn't want a discussion on union/non-union, that was not my intention.

10. Drachen

Drachen Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Indiana
    most of the questions that can't be asked are related directly to a persons personal life and not whether a previous employer was union or not.

i will say i don't drive but in any job interview i have had i try not to add anything extra beyond just answering their questions. seems to work well, i've only ever had two interviews where i didn't end up employed by that company afterward.

11. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One bad apple spoils the whole load. You only casually mentioned being Union in the interview what are you going to say to fellow employees over a beer after work when there complaining about work/benefits/pay. It's not worth the risk to the company for you to spoil there employees, Same reason my friend will not hire a non smoker to work in his company as we worked together 20+ years ago at another company (20 employees) when a non smoker was hired and within a week started making comments about the 2nd hand smoke by the end of a year we were 15 ft away from the building to smoke. there best employees all got fed up and quit even some of there other non smoking employees quit because are replacements could not do the work But hey the girl that started the mess was one of the last employes there when they went under because they could not meet quote and lost contracts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.