Dispatcher's Calling???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by scotty, Dec 12, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I did that once when I was a supervisor for an industrial cleaning company . I had worked 14 hours , got home at 8 p.m. and had to be in at 8 a.m. the next morning for the final class and test on HAZWOPER renewal . Dispatch called at 10 p.m. and wanted me to go in to replace a worker that had a heart attack . Emergency crews at AK Steel used an AED on him twice and brought him back and he died at the hospital . I told them know . The phone rang 10 minutes later and I picked it up and let them have it . It was one of the managers . The next morning they said they'd let me finish the certification but then I was suspended for a week . They wanted the keys to the company truck and the Nextel and I'd work as an operator for 30 days and decide if I wanted to be a supervisor . I told them I didn't need 30 seconds to decide . I'd be an operator , thank you and they could keep their Nextel and make some other fool a supervisor . Two weeks later I was a supervisor again with a pay increase . Two months later that manager was fired . A year later he called me and asked me to come to work for him as a supervisor for the company he was with then . :biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    Yeah like hanging out a closed window. That works pretty good!:biggrin_25523:

4. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    qualcomm usually doesnt wake me up. I have a bad habit of using it while i am sleeping though. I wasted a couple hours trying to get authorization to bobtail for a load recently. Had told them the night before i needed an mt. Woke up, no new messages, so i asked about it, oh, check the yard. nope. oh, check the shop. nope, oh go here... as i was looking for the directions, i realized they had sent me a message at 1am telling me to go to the same place. I read the message in my sleep. LOL.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    my boss and I have an understanding, for every time he calls and wakes me up while I'm sleeping, he get's two middle of the night phone wake up phone calls for stupid reasons. Since coming to this understanding, he almost never calls to bother me while I'm sleeping as he values his sleep as well. Now, If I stop to take a nap during the day while on a run, I send him a text message to his laptop letting him know to not disturb me for 30 minutes.

6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    They will call you at home if there is an issue or to see if you are ready to roll when home time is up and you are due back to work.

7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Doesn't matter turning it down. All that does is turn down the key volume. When you have an incoming message, the beep is at the same volume all the time. I put mine in the passenger seat with a pillow or my shower bag over it to muffle it. When I'm on my break, #### that #### thing, I refuse to answer it.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I think I'll invent a quick disconnect for Q-Comms, sell them cheap, make a fortune. You know I'm right!

9. Nophix

Nophix Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Stevens Point, WI
    On the rare occasion the shop does call me, I always answer with something goofy. they get a rise out of it. Especially when the owner is dispatching and calls you, and you answer "Premium Sluts r Us, pay us once, we'll do you twice".

10. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

If your truck has no qualcomm installed--you have no problem !!!

11. Canada Dry

Canada Dry Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Detroit Mi.
    My dispatch has a tendacy too call during my 10 hour off period, I don't answer the phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.