Dispatcher's Calling???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by scotty, Dec 12, 2009.

1. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Disconnecting the cable from your Qualcomm keyboard does not cause you to lose the signal. It, just, disconnets the keyboard. When you plug it back in you will have all messages sent waiting for you. You can change keyboards from one truck to another, it won't make a difference. It is like the keyboard on your computer at home, it doesn't affect your cpu.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Yup, As long as the dome is still plugged in they'll never notice. Now if you really want to mess with them, unplug the dome.

4. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I used to unplug the keyboard at werner any time we stopped for sleep because Don would send us 16+ messages asking the same inane crap over and over using the big red light buzz(werner drivers know what I mean). Werner has a light on the dash too, it buzzes loud, and the light on the dash lights up if the messages is REALLY important and requires you to stop/read asap. Usually reserved for load assignments, or swaps.

Here I am finding out you can like dispatchers, or perhaps love... My dispatcher only calls if he has something important to say, like to explain our next load to us or if we have a load and arent in the truck. He always QCs first to see if we are in the truck/awake. I can ever say hey we are napping if something important arises call me (as the QC doesnt wake me up anymore). AND he wouldn't get too dumb because I have HIS cell # mwahaha.

Xmas day he was off yet we still had a discussion when shipper screwed up our load and he fixed it for us. <3

5. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    My husband pulled a truck in under a corrogated steel awning once when we were trying to outmanuever a tornado.... Oooppps! We vanished from radar about the same time the tornado hit the ground, about 1/4 mile away! Talk about messing with a dispatchers mind!

FriedTater, Big Don and kajidono Thank this.
  6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    That's right. Saw a guy at FFE get fired because he unplugged his and every truck has a sticker on the brain under the bunk. Can't remember exactly what it said but something along the line of "disconnecting of the (such and such number of pins cable) will result in automatic termination. I would just unplug it at the dome so if anything, you were under some tree's or a bridge and didn't have signal.

7. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    That would work unless they were really anal about it. There's some black tarry goo they put on the plug like a seal. If you unplug the dome it breaks that seal. If they checked that and decided you unplugged it, with that kind of policy in place, you're gone.

I get the feeling most places don't seem to care that much as long as you don't disappear for an extended period of time, though. That and the more you're on time with your loads, the less they care about where you happen to be all the time. My dispatcher switched from 'call me every morning/every stop, etc' to 'call me if something happens' pretty quick. We don't bother each other much.

Now when some of these douchebag brokers get my number, they can piss me off.

"Are you there yet?"
    "Are you there yet?"
    "Are you there yet?"
    "Are you there yet?"
    "Are you there yet?"

"No, ######. I've got 500 miles to run and it's only been two hours. Go get a ###### girlfriend or something."

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Us older guys remember the days before cell phones when we were told to move a hot load 500 miles ASAP but call every hour so we know where you are . :biggrin_25510: . You want it there ASAP don't have me lose an hour making half dozen phone calls .

9. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    LMAO! I remember one time when the broker somehow got the cell number... "Are you there yet?" every five minutes.... I got enough of that **** real fast. The last time they called, I answered "Buenos dias?" "No habla ingles, senor.." They never called again...

10. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    My prefered line is "Helgas house of pain and domination, this is nick speaking."

That usually throws people off, specially telemarketers.

11. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    I had mine hooked up to a switch when I was running for yellowstone, if I wanted to be left alone id shut it off, shut the phone off. and have a little peace.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.