Distracted driving, the end of the line

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tinytim, Apr 16, 2019.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    No worse place to be than the end of a line of stopped traffic. It seems every week we hear of another truck running into stopped traffic.

Nothing is going to stop people from doing stuff they shouldn't while behind the wheel. Countless dollars are spent telling people not to drive distracted or drive drunk or whatever but people still do it. We'd be better off focusing on educating the ones who don't do that stuff on how to minimize risk.

How does everyone approach a situation of slowed/stopped traffic?

Ease up early and try to warn others behind?
    Stay glued to the guy ahead of you to prevent others from squeezing in ahead of you?

No one behind you yet?

Get close to the one ahead so nobody can sneak in front of you?
    Stay far back with the idea that it's better to get pushed into open space than be sandwiched?

Too many are either distracted or limit their visibility be either being too close to the one ahead of them or by simply not looking far enough ahead.

not4hire and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    If I see stopped traffic, I automatically take my foot off the gas and start downshifting never coming to a complete stop(unless absolutely necessary,than I keep one eye on the rearview and one on the road). I do the same at red lights and most times find myself ahead of the morons that race from light to light, having to start from a complete stop. I hate using the clutch, it's not that I'm lazy, it's just painful at this stage of the game. I never, ever sit at a light with the clutch disengaged.If I'm driving an automatic(the Allison type, I've never driven the other type), I'll take it out of gear. My ultimate goal is to keep moving, no matter how slow and always leave as much space as possible between me and the person in front.A good rule of thumb is always keep a good eye on the driver behind the driver in front of you.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I got news for ya', in light of recent events, if I'm the last one, or even a few rows in, I always keep my eye in the mirror and room to hit the shoulder, just in case, you know.

Suspect Zero, tinytim, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not just due to recent events, but the way I have always done it; slight modifications depending on what I'm driving. I try not to stop if I don't have to, but there's a point where crawling becomes a liability rather than an asset.

In a truck I slow down early, turn on flashers, watch the mirrors and leave a sufficient gap that I can drive around. I watch the mirrors until traffic behind me is stopped. If it's a truck, I'll turn off the flashers and relax. If it's cars I won't do that until usually 3-4 have stopped.

In a passenger vehicle I'll follow much the same but leave a bigger gap and watch the mirrors like a hawk until there's enough traffic behind me.

On a motorcycle I typically leave a bigger gap and I offset enough to quickly drive around traffic, whether between or up the shoulder. Or, if it looks like it is a longer delay, I get off the bike and go stand on the shoulder or elsewhere out of the way (sometimes a couple of vehicles ahead). Also, a lot of times a motorcycle can filter to the front without issue... I'm gonna pass you anyways. ;)

spindrift, TripleSix, 201 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hit the shoulder twice and it's not from distracting. There was nothing in those days (No internet, no computer anything, no smart or cell phones... we did have what they called radio telephone, but those are seriously expensive)

The last time I used the shoulder to stop it took me about 24 cars.

7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    hospitals are big business, they prefer drivers not be educated, otherwise they have fewer customers.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I do the same... slow roll, flashers on, with a 1/4 mile of space in front of me until there's enough slow traffic built up behind me. Then two truck lengths of space while we crawl through the mess.

Tombstone69 and tinytim Thank this.
  9. Thouren

Thouren Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Detroit, MI

I try to do the same on my motorcycle too! Always try to filter several cars ahead rather than be in the back. Keep an escape to shoulder open. Keep one eye on the rearview without comprising attention to what's happening in front.

10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    For some reason, one of the more challenging elements of the Smith's System for me has been the skill of scanning far out in front of me. Assuming I've got that down, I let my foot off the throttle and watch my 6 like nobodies business, flashers on. I'm not comfortable and don't turn off my flashers until a few cars and trucks have slowed behind me.

tinytim and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    dont get distracted while driving by reading billboards that say dont get distracted while driving

86scotty, JoeyJunk, tinytim and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.