DMR radio portable vs mobile

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Powder Joints, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Any of the hams here use DMR, if so portable, mobile one in the shack, or all 3. Just curious. I played them a few years ago, just ordered a TYT 390 portable, had a 380 but did find it to be a tough radio like my yeasu. But for the work Im doing I think the 390 and the md 9600 for the shack.
    Anyhow what talkgroups do you find interesting or useful,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zeldaella

zeldaella Bobtail Member

May 4, 2020
    TYT 380 cool and nice features, including power-on protection, voice prompt, and the priority scan. One downside I would like to emphasize is the lack of adjustment for the audio. MD 9600 is a great radio for in-vehicle or even as a base station, works great on analog, the digital or dmr side not so much. The programming software is pretty confusing at 1st but after a bit of a learning curve it gets easier, definitely not the greatest or easiest to use, additionally at least for me, programming any type of DMR repeater is a nightmare, while I've been able to transmit out, I can never seem to get any audio coming back, the Private call feature at least for my unit is not working, everything has to be done in group call mode.

4. 715

715 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    GA
    To be honest if you are close by the DMR site or the repeater has great coverage I say go with the portable of your choosing if you are not close or the coverage isn't that good for a portable get the mobile radio. All depends on what you want in the radio.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.