Do a lot of truckers suffer sleep apnea?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by sybila, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kurbski

kurbski Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2008
    NE Florida
    Do you have sleep apnea? Personally I wouldn't sleep without one, and carry a backup. But if you truly have sleep apnea and need a cpap to stay healthy, there are alot of very reasonable cost effective options to take care of your health. Nothing is "cheap" in healthcare and I don't have any control over it, but I like Life....
    option A: if you care about your health and shop around you will find something that meets your needs. Option B: If you don't care about yourself, then choke to death in your sleep. You choice obviously if your diagnosed by someone that's a true healthcare professional and not a provider thats doing a wallet biopsy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Which has nothing to do with actually driving.

That is my complaint about all of this phony hype around it.

Anyone being diagnosed will be on the hook for thousands a year in monitoring and equipment. That or leave the industry.

skellr Thanks this.
  4. kurbski

Jul 6, 2008
    NE Florida
    Thousands a year is not accurate and you are spreading misinformation about the true costs. Google cpap machines with a dot complaint memory card then come back here and share the truth. Occasionally you need accessories like a hose or mask. Google those as well... A Dr visit with a $40 copay won't break the bank either. And a letter of compliance to present during a dot physical is $50. So for me, these are really reasonable options to treat my condition.

And for me it does have a something to do with driving, because I was always tired and fatigued until I got the treatment I needed. And driving fatigued for me was not safe.

Here's a googled link to several dot compliant cpap machines. Starting at $250.00 refurbished.
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...4.mobile-gws-serp..1.9.1592...0.0.8DojlEyEHYE

New Cpap machines are :
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...le-gws-serp..0.8.1189...30i10k1.0.IIkrBESY7Zc

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. 06driver

May 28, 2017
    Machine, mask, cleaner, compliance monitoring, extra paperwork, another mask, more monitoring........you keep believing it is not thousands.

Here a sleep expert, trying to do the hard sell.

How much does CPAP machine cost?
    Average price for CPAP machine ranges from about $500 – $3000, with an estimated average price around $850. Many insurance companies cover the cost of PAP and BiPAP bilevel devices. This usually includes the mask, hose, filters, and tubing.

CPAP Machines and Masks - American Sleep Association

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You just want to believe it $3,000 every year or something. You can buy mask for $70 and their is no monitoring fee. You just get a print out of you SD card from your machine (it's free) and show it to D.O.T doctor. Then your good to go.

7. 06driver

May 28, 2017
    Nice try. These companies are mandating automatic monitoring. So if the driver falls out of compliance they park him until such time as they come back into compliance. Usually that takes 7 days of use.

Look if you folks want to use that treatment good for you.

However by law the FMCSA can not require it. Any Doctor trying to disqualify any driver for not being tested should face legal prosecution IMHO.
    I have stood my ground when they start this crap I have been tested, but they find that irrelevant until they hear the word lawyer. Suddenly their ears work just #### fine.

Must be a temporary health crisis ;)

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their is no automatic monitoring requirmerets. Once you get your medical card it good for 1 year. Someone could stop using the cpap and nobody will know. You won't get another medical card probably. Some of the trucking companies were monitoring new CPAP driver because they tried to cheat the CPAP. You don't have have to work for that company.

You do have to show proof your using a CPAP if you get one. The modern CPAP has wireless data reporting. That's free also or you can use the SD card. Both are free.

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The system is messed up now because of having only certified FMCSA approved doctor for D.O.T physical. The doctors are now on the hook if a driver they pass is not ok to drive or if the doctor is just passing everyone.

If someone look like they could have sleep apnea but they say no what's a doctor to do ? I think the only answer is look for a doctor that won't ask.

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    What’s with the monitoring for cpap usage?
    Why no constant blood pressure monitoring to make sure drivers are taking their pills?
    Why no monoriting to see that a driver is wearing his prescribed glasses or contacts?

06driver Thanks this.
  11. kurbski

Jul 6, 2008
    NE Florida
    Im not selling anything or sharing anything but the truth and my personal experience. And you spread misinformation. Anyone who reads your replies can clearly see you are FOS.. The difference between us according to your posts is that you are not a cpap user or patient. Ive been a cpap patient long before driving otr since 2009 and saved thousands by finding a provider that has taken care of my personal issues and equipment. If anyone needs help, I'm here to help and do not profit in any way, shape or form...nuff said! I'm rolling on!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.