Do all ELD's show On Duty no matter what?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Whatagal, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Great post. Omnitracs starts a 14-hour countdown when you go on duty after a sufficient break just like any other proper ELD. The OP states that it leaves him "on duty" but it does not as long as he goes off duty. However, as many have stated, the 14 hour clock will continue to count down as required by law even if he is off duty.

(transparency statement: I am an Omnitracs install and supporting dealer)

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Heavy Load Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I am always told it's just a computer, then how come it never goes from driving to off duty, on duty to off duty it's always the other way around

Whatagal and Dieselboss Thank this.
  4. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    FMCSA regulation dictates to the device makers that it cannot go from "Driving to Off-Duty" on its own. Or from "On-Duty to Off-Duty" on its own. It DOES go from "Driving to On-Duty" after 5 minutes of no movement though. The government has mandated that going to "Off-Duty" or to "Personal Conveyance" or to "Sleeper" or to "Yard Move" must require a manual action by the driver.

Bean Jr., not4hire and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Heavy Load Member

Feb 4, 2019
    That figures, has no problem going from yard move to driving.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  6. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I do not know how other brands treat "Yard Move to Driving." But I can tell you that it is not "random" on Omnitracs. On an Omnitracs / Qualcomm unit the truck will go from "Yard Move to Driving" when it reaches 20 MPH, or when you cycle the ignition off, or both (depending on how your company sets it.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted