Do all mega carrier trainers suck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lonewolf2000, Jul 15, 2018.

1. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    My trainer was amazing. My starter mega company sucked big time. YMMV.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018
    I used to train my god i ####ing hated it. Stupid students some of those ppl should not be in a #### truck like seriously im not even talking about backing just driving down the highway in unsafe manners i kicked the one student out he seriously was talking on a handheld phone ####er was alwayd on the phone is pissed me off so much i dropped him at hotel told him tobget out your fired. Other ppl couldnt read signs. Most of them sucked at backing i told them ill watch make sure u dont hit anything but figure it out yourself. Thats how i learned to back u have to get the feel for it urself. Not someone telling u left and right. I usuLly just layed around binge watching netflix. If student needed something they got me. Otherwise just drive and do ur thing let me know if u need anything. Some students were cool went to miami for a day off had a few beers. Others annoyed me mostly black students since im white and i ####ing hate rap music. But yeah teaining sucks no matter if ur the student or the trqiner it all sucks.my recommendation go to the company that has the shortest training program. Get ur own truck trucking is easy to learn as u go.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys (seasoned drivers) ever notice the cycle of desperation among newbies?

They think this crap that they put up with is normal behavior and many of them start acting like it is alright to mimic it.

Yelling at people, throwing crap at people, pissing in bottles, all of that shows me how desperate people are to make any money, even if it is for a short time.

I don't tolerate people yelling, never have which I also believe in no one should be yelled at when they are trying to enhance their skills in a truck.

Bluedew, BUMBACLADWAR and Lab work Thank this.
  5. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe you're just that bad.

From what I seen the people who claim their trainers succ are usually know it alls or just terrible drivers who quit within a year

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Funny story. I was sitting in the dining room of the Harrisburg TA a number of years ago. An idiot was engaged in a HOS argument with a guy that said he trained for Schneider. I was not part of the discussion. I had a pickup at Hersheys and did not have time to talk. This was funny because an older guy piped up called them both wrong and quoted the regulation as well as where it was. That trainer then pulled that I'm a trainer I know more then you do card. That old man used a phrase most all truckers that use CBs has heard. (Shut up stupid). Even the waitress was laughing.

Wargames, Dave_in_AZ and Lab work Thank this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I told my trainer at my old mega that u have to be sick in the head to want to be a trainer.

The one and only trainer we have at the little milk tanker I work at now is thee most mellow but theatrical story teller ever.

Some of the stories he tells me about what some of these students try to do is unreal.

I wouldn't get on a tandem Try-Cycle with most of the people I see walking around this Great Country of ours.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    For a while I did road tests for a local company I worked for. About 30 a year. You get all kinds of crazy people. They all had at least 1 year experience verified.

1 couldn't connect the air lines after 15 min of trying. 1 didn't know what tandems were or that they even moved. 1 refused every turn because it looked 'too damgerous'. 1 couldn't get it into 6th gear and said my 6th gear is broken but all the others are good. Many more things I can't even remember now.

I would say 30% I felt comfortable driving with.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Did you still pass them?

10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Didn't matter. They hired them all anyway. It was a company based in Houston and I lived in San Antonio so any drivers applying from the SA area I ended up road testing before they bused them to Houston to get a truck. I failed about 10% but I found out later every single one was hired regardless. Also found out a lot of people only did it to keep receiving unemployment benefits. Didn't matter in the long run since JB Hunt bought them out last year.

DAX_ and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Reading this reminds me of something a guy that road tests said once. I still laugh when I remember it. (This is the most dangerous part of my job).

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.