Do Any Company Trucks Have Thermostats?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I found APUs don’t provide enough cooling power. It was always too hot in the cab. Granted I mainly ran I-10 through Texas, NM, and AZ where even at night it struggled.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Same.

What I was getting at with my original post was, do trucks have a way to select a specific temperature (65F for example) and maintain that temp by throttling back the A/C portion of an APU once it gets to that temp, and then restarting the A/C once the incab temperature climbs back up a degree or two?

4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    While there are no specific temperatures on the dial, it does turn the A/C compressor on and off as needed to maintain a mostly consistent temperature.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    When Opti-Idle is enabled, the engine is as well when it kicks in.

And when Opti-Idle does kick in it is not the engine starting that will wake you up.
    It is the beep tone that sounds just before the engine starts. Don't really see any need for that, but I hear it in my truck as well as other trucks around me.

I have found that Opti-Idle is much more useful in hot weather than in cold.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.