Do any of you live 100% out of your truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newbie1981, Aug 17, 2013.

1. klkruger

klkruger Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Though I do not anymore, I virtually lived out of my truck for 15 years.

I was never interested in doing so to 'save for retirement' or any of that. (That still holds no interest for me.)

It doesn't take all that long to see the country as an OTR driver. It does take time to get to know the country - its cities and small towns, its varying culture and its people. That was my goal. And I spent my money there (while still maintaining a small ranch in Florida, a couple vehicles, etc.).

I've never fathomed the numerous drivers who, when not driving, do little more than sit in their trucks or venture (often waddle) into the truckstop to have almost the same conversations they've had before at the coffee counter, or to belly up, yet again, to the buffet. I don't get it. To each his own and I do not begrudge them their choice but I do not understand it. Their choice, such as it is, is often accompanied by endless complaints about trucking - as if someone out there is forcing them to drive a truck. Please.

If the goal is to stash cash, sure, you an do that living out of your truck. For me, as noted, my goal was different. I hit - very often - some of the finest restaurants in the country (food and dining are huge interests of mine); went to the theater (another interest) in numerous cities and small towns; drank with the locals at countless bars, lounges and dives; gone to family functions of people I've just met who invited me to join them; made some of the best friends I could not possibly have dreamed of meeting had I not chosen the path I did. And I did this as a company driver, well before I ever bought my first truck.

My point, whatever your motivation to possibly live out of your truck, is that done right, you can further your goals and your life at the same time. You can enjoy the moments now - and also enjoy the potentials for your future.

dog-c, roadlt and texasbigbird54 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Awesome post, Klkruger. I too love to sample the local finer cuisine, and that will be high on my list of activities when I take a few days off here and there. I have been dreaming of Kansas City or Memphis Barbecue, seafood from parts of the east coast, Oregon or Washington, etc, and just enjoying the country whenever I have the time to do so. The way you described your life as a trucker is also a big part of what I aspire to as well.

4. klkruger

Jul 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    And, I guess, I'm here to say it is quite possible. I've done it - and had a great time doing so. No reason at all why you can't.

ethos Thanks this.
  5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    What were the hardest things to adjust to or deal with for you living out of your truck in that time?

6. kbar909

kbar909 Light Load Member

Living out of the truck is my plan as well. I will be taking my dog with me so I might not be able to see or go everywhere I want to...but oh well. I plan to keep a pick up truck at the yard with a slide in camper on it to serve as my house when I go to my home terminal! I have been planning this life for a long time now and things are finally starting to fall in place to where I can make this a reality. Im looking forward to it as it will be a new chapter in my life!

7. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    It's a ball! Home is the same if you fix it up as you want it. The address just changes. BBQ in the locker, everything a house has inside, Improvised somewhat, It's a fun thing with a free spirit inside you. A chain if you want a "stick" house.

8. TaserTot

TaserTot Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    West/Central TX
    I did it after my divorce. I sacrificed a lot to do it though. I am currently thinking about it again. This time I will do it different though. I want to save even more money and buy my own truck. I may do a lease purchase this time too, not sure yet but definitely considering it.

The worst part for me was loneliness and that led to some depression, especially in the winter time up north. I need to avoid the north country in the winter as much as possible because I get seasonal depression when it is cloudy for more than a day or so. Anyway, like I said I'm looking to live on the road again and save some money. Might even buy a house and become normal...lol.

9. Big Ole Bear

Big Ole Bear Light Load Member

HAHAHAHA thanks i needed the laugh :p

10. klkruger

Jul 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Hmm. Not much, really. I am not one to spend all day hanging in the truck if between loads. I strongly suggest not being one of those guys. I carry a bicycle with me. I have two national gym memberships. I seek out interesting restaurants. I go to the movies. I would get a nice hotel room periodically. I'd spend time in sports bars, nice lounges or restaurant bars. Some of my closest friends to this day are people I met while living out of my truck - bartenders (always drink at the bar or eat at the bar), restaurant servers, several restaurant owners, people I've met on bike trails, etc.

As long as you live - and not simply survive - living out of your truck can be rather rewarding.

(I had my dog with me during this time too.)

kbar909 Thanks this.
  11. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I live out of my truck.

I keep a storage space for a few things. My home address for license purposes is where I used to live. I have mail forwarded to my family's house. When I do my home times out west in Washington I stay at a hotel and when I do the home times out east I stay with family.

Without a wife, kids or a place to call home it just doesn't make sense financially to pay rent or a mortgage. This is my way of simplifying life down to the basic needs, eliminating unnecessary bills and a chance to see the country and visit my family without paying for airfare. Really if I don't have someone to return home to then what's the point. The way I look at it if I did return to an empty home what would I be doing other than maintenance or sitting around? The only thing I miss on the road other than my parents or siblings is my bike.

I take home time every 3-6 weeks on either the west coast to visit my motorcycle that is kept at the company terminal or to spend time with my female friend. Or when i take home time on the east coast i visit and stay with my family. In the winter I'll probably be taking some home time down in San Diego or Vegas. In between I can visit my little bro in the Midwest or friends in other states.

I have been planning an epic motorcycle trip that will take me out of the country for 5-6 months so having a residence would be one more headache in that equation. This trip would not be possible under different circumstances and different employment.

In the long run I may become that guy talking gibberish to himself at the truckstops but for now this works. There's not many jobs that afford us this kind of freedom. Why not take advantage of it. It can either be a burden or a blessing depending on your personal situation and outlook.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.