Do carriers pay you as individual or LLC?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cargobeep, Jan 21, 2022.

1. cargobeep

cargobeep Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Okay, I saw a YT video where the lady was checking the load board for LTL loads for her box truck. Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully, if I keep asking the right questions, I can start to sound like I know what I'm talking about :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cargobeep

cargobeep Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Do all carriers handle box trucks, or are some better than others for that?

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    This is something I'm not well versed with. But, have heard this and it makes sense. An example is, with an LLC, it is the LLC that gets paid, then the LLC, in turn pays you. Since you control the LLC this means you pay yourself. You can shield alot of your income that way. But, the downside is that then your personal income will be significantly lower and it'll reduce your ability to get a loan or similar (like getting a new truck), as it ends up looking like you earn alot less income than you actually do. I read that on here somewhere, so unsure how true it is, but it seems to make sense to me.
    Since I'm a company driver, I'm not really the best person to ask for on specifics.
    Hopefully someone else, with better firsthand experience will come along and expand on it all a bit.

cargobeep Thanks this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    your company name = your corporate name

6. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Many people feel that if you are driving the truck then an LLC is a waste of money. You can still be sued and they can go after your personal assets.

For accounting purposes LLC means nothing. You are either a Sole Proprietor or an S Corp for payroll and tax purposes.

wis bang Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    n
    When the state of NJ tried to go after the first carrier they felt was 'mis-classifying' independents the focused on the indviduals and LLC's but ignored the individual 'S' corps. Most of our port guys are LLC's but will change to 'S' corps if the state wins in court.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.