Do I have to log picking up truck from shop 7 miles away?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by chmpbt, Dec 9, 2017.

1. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    My boss asked me to pick up one of our trucks(and trailer) from the shop and bring it right back to the yard. I got a ride to the shop which is 7 miles away from the yard. The company I work for hauls locally.
    I was working earlier that day in a different truck and was at my 12th on duty hour(12 hours 15 minutes) and I was obviously running my elog for that, which I always do.
    When I got into the truck at the shop, there was no elog in it.
    So I was just still “on duty” from the other truck I was driving that day.
    I was told I don’t need one since it’s within 100 air miles.
    But all of our loads and drops are within 100 air miles, and I run a log for that.
    After looking at the requirements for the 100 air mile exemption, I think I was in violation.............
    Exemption requirements:
    1. Operate within 100 air miles of starting location. Yes.
    2. Go off duty within 12 hours. No.
    3. Report back to same work location every day. Yes.
    4. Have at least 10 consecutive hours off before starting their next on duty period. Yes.
    As you can see I met all exemptions except #2... I was over 12 on duty hours when I got in that truck to drive it. Long day.
    And we regularly go over 12 hours on duty in a day(8 hours driving).
    It seems to me like we don’t qualify for this exemption and must always run logs, and I should of had a log in that truck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    no, log off duty-personal use

chmpbt Thanks this.
  4. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Personal conveyance exemption? I’m not so sure about that...
    Personal conveyance criteria:
    1. Must be relieved of all responsibilities and conduct NO on duty activities. No work for the company is allowed during personal conveyance.
    2. Trip and destination must be purely personl in nature. Like a company driver taking his truck home for his days off. Or going to a hotel or restaurant.
    3. Vehicle must not be “laden”. Which means, not hooked up to a trailer, even if the trailer is empty.
    This is a fuel tanker truck, and was hooked to the second tank trailer. Plus fuel tanks are never really “empty” because of vapors and I have to have a generic BOL in the truck at all times to cover my last loads vapors. It was placarded.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Are we talking legal-eagle, honest injun'? Yes. But I wouldn't, especially if I had places to go later and couldn't afford the break interruption or early 14 start. Call me an "outlaw super trucker", I suppose.

If you're on paper and felt guilty, you could log the time elsewhere that made better time management sense.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    if you get paid for it, you log it.......pretty simple

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

As your not at the deadline for eLogs yet and there was no ELD in the truck, you were legal.

(I think there's going to be an exemption for broken/malfunctioning ELDs that will be very abused in the near future. That you can run paper for 7 days until a defect is corrected. It wouldn't surprise me if companies remove ELDs from trucks before taking them OOS, reinstalling them once repaired, and using paper in between.)

You should probably have logged it on your main log though as line 4. And if you were at 12:15 you still had 1:45 on your 14 hour clock correct?

8. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Correct, and I wouldn’t have hit my 11 hour drive time.
    But, after more research, I realize I should have been logging this on line 3, driving.
    I learned I can pair up my cell phone to the ELD, so next time I hop in a truck with no iPad, I’ll be able to log it as drive time no problem.

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Yeah, I'm also the guy who often has to run trucks into and out of the garage as I live pretty close to our company mechanic.

For years I've done it "off the books" since I can save gas on my personal ride by taking a truck "home" and picking up another for the next morning.

In my case,,, maybe it stretches the limit of the personal use limit? But under a totally electronic system? What a pain in the xxx.

I put in a nearly full day of logging with my regular truck, then have to DVIR a 2nd truck for a 20 minute drive then the next day start my day with a 3rd truck before starting my PTI on my primary rig.

Oh and I found out from my CEO that our B & C trucks (straight trucks) don't operate on the same "network" as our A trucks. Apparently it would have cost more to have our A drivers certified on both vehicles so they didn't and now they realize there's a problem.

A temp fix is in the works but it sounds ghetto as ****, I didn't even get the details because it sounded like a headache and I was running out the door for an assignment.

Hopefully they can get a better solution before it ever comes up for me.

chmpbt Thanks this.
  10. 617strong

617strong Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Im in maine im gonna bobtail to oklahoma to trade my truck pick up new one bobtail back do I have to have a log or can I hammer down there and back

11. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    If you run an ELD. You are required to log everything you do. ####. shine, shower, shave,drive, eat, move two inches, and you must also log when on Hometime, as to the activities you do at home also must be logged.

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.