Do I need a CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Fordguy581, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Fordguy581

Fordguy581 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Hi everyone, I found this website while researching about CDL requirements so I thought I would ask as I'm considering to buy a 2018 f350 DRW and since the gwr of my trailer is 14,000 lbs and the truck is over 12,000 gvrw that means my gcrw would be over 26k lbs. I'm not hauling for commercial use, I'm just moving my tractor and concrete blocks for a garage I'm building for myself. I'm located in Virginia but I'll be driving into West Virginia. Right now as I understand the laws in both states personal use is exempt from the CDL requirements, but it's a little unclear in West Virginia's CDL book under 'who is exempt?'it says ' per the commercial motor vehicle safety act of 1986, vehicles used exclusively for personal use as recreational vehicles and rental trucks used only to transport the driver's personal and/or household property.' so I'm unclear if it only applies to RVs and rental trucks or any truck for personal use.

Thanks for your help,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoLowes48

GoLowes48 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Try calling the WV DOT if your unclear. You should also research weight limits for your set up in the states your driving through, as some may require you to stop at weigh stations(even for personal use).

Fordguy581 and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  4. Fordguy581

Mar 7, 2018
    I'll only be in Virginia and West Virginia, I'll call the DOT of both states and see what they say.

Thanks for the help

5. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    You will need to check but you do not combine the two for the total.. if the GVWR of the truck is over 26,001# you'll need a CDL.. I'm pretty sure if the trailer is GVWR of 10,000 # you will need a Class A CDL.. don't quote me.. I'm still on my first cup of coffee..

Fordguy581 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. Fordguy581

Mar 7, 2018
    Sure I understand that. I think that in for example Maryland, they require you to have a class A CDL for any trailer over 10K lbs, except for farm use. From what I understand West Virginia says trailer weight doesn't matter as long as the GCWR is below 26K lbs, but if it is only used for personal use then it does not apply.
    I could wrong in my understanding but that's what I understand as of now.
    Thanks,
    Paul

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it's 26 and over Im pretty sure you will need a CDL and A because it's a trailer combination.

You did not say what tractor, question from me being more particular is there any overhang from the deck edges on that tractor which will make it a oversized vehicle... which is another can of worms.

talk to the DOT in each of the states you plan to run. My "Pretty Sure" wont hold a candle or any value when you are standing in front of a DOT man trying to 'splain yourself.

Fordguy581 Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Umm... 14,000 plus 12,000 is 26,000 lbs. I specifically state this as it matters...
    If you have a gcvwr of 26,000 you will be fine. If it is 26,001 lbs you will need a Class A CDL

Here is a flowchart to show you.. So is the GCVWR 26,000lbs or 26,001 or more lbs?

[​IMG]

Fordguy581 Thanks this.
  9. Fordguy581

Mar 7, 2018
    I think in West Virginia there is a personal exemption as it says in the WV CDL manual under 'who is exempt'

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.