Do I need a kingpin plate and pin?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by reelheavy, Sep 24, 2021.

1. reelheavy

reelheavy Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    Hey All!

I have a 2000 utility combo. Owned it for a year maybe have pulled it 50 times. I was up under it the other day and noticed the kingpin plate looked worn. First trailer I’ve ever owned so I have never replaced a kingpin plate. Called and got some estimates best I could find here in MD was $2500 1250 for parts 1250 for labor. And he would change out the cross member and all that good stuff.
    But before I bite the bullet I wanted some other opinions which is why I am here. I took a few pictures. What do you all think? All help and suggestions welcomed! Thanks!
    Sorry for the picture quality the sun was bright.

I mostly do power only work for a grocery chain near my home and only hook up to my flatbed when they don’t have anything or I find a good skateboard load.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Looks worn? Thats a big job for a 20 year old trailer. These jobs always take longer than expected. I thought your quote was on the low side.

I would measure the pin to be in specs. Cant see the pin bacause of your lock. If its good I say run it. Biggest worry is any structural cracks or welds. A good cleaning may show the true wear on the plate, Id be surprised if its major. Only if someone run a dry plate often.

4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Why do you think it needs replaced? Can't see anything obvious in pictures

Diesel Dave, Bean Jr. and skallagrime Thank this.
  5. reelheavy

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    the pin is good shape. The plate is worn in one spot. The guy who is doing the work for me suggested to go with 3/8” king pin and plate. And utility said that is what they put on trailers now and that is the replacement for the 1/4” pin. He replaced 2 pins and plates on my buddies flatbeds and changed all the cross members I can say his work is very good just trying to decide whether to put the money into the trailer due to its age. Everything on the backend is fairly new, brakes, drums, s cams, air bags, shocks, bushings, etc.

6. reelheavy

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    It has a worn spot on the plate. It was hard to get a picture to show it. Or maybe I’m just being dramatic and want to spend some money just getting opinions because this is the first trailer I have ever owned. Pin is good it pulls straight.

7. reelheavy

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    Is this hole in the plate major or minor? 1C2246AD-202E-4393-A1D2-E1EB9FC22C74.jpeg

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Price is right and fair, if it needs done,
    Reelheavy has pointed at the biggest worry i see

9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Oh yeah I'd say that's a problem

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Looks like its probably rusted thru fom the inside. Water pools on top of the plate.

Look the rest of the trialer frame and crossmembembers over for thin spots before you pull the trigger. Make sure all the new steel gets coated good.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    @Tug Toy you want to pass on your experience with this??

Tug Toy and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.