Do I need a school if already have my CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by atvtrailrider, Oct 18, 2018.

1. atvtrailrider

atvtrailrider Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    I am 55 and looking at beginning a driving career. I already have my CDL that I got about 9 years ago. I studied on my own, rented a truck, and took the test. I then spent about 6 months driving a truck/trailer for a race team and we were based out of IL. My first time in a manual transmission truck drove it from San Diego to Alabama.

I haven't drove since that fall after dropping the team truck off in San Diego. So I don't really have verify able experience. Owner of the race team is not around any longer.

1) Do I need to go to a school?

2) I am in Idaho, what is the best company to get some OTR experience with? Most all the local job listings say they want 6 months to 2 years OTR experience.

Thank You

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OilBoomDreamer

OilBoomDreamer Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Best bet. Try and renew your CDL. If that works. You're golden. If not. Let me know.

4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    There is some companies that will train you on what is legal now, which was different that what was a decade ago. They have this thing called eld,s that may take a bit to get used to. Then the country has changed and finding out from some that have made it through those changes might give you some insight of what is happening out there now.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Much has changed since 9 years ago. Some companies will road test you and if you do ok, they'll hire you.
    I don't have any names for that though. That's one of those deals where you knock on doors and ask.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't know if Abilene Motor Express hires in Idaho, but they hire drivers in your situation. Call and ask.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Two companies in Missoula, Montana probably hire you and put you through their school or some type of orientation. Haven't read or heard any negative remarks on either of them. Call and ask what they can offer and their hiring criteria for a driver in your situation.
    Jim Palmer Trucking - refrigerated - www.jimpalmertrucking.com
    Jones Bros. Trucking - flatbed - www.jonesbrotherstrucking.com

Bluedew Thanks this.
  6. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    I heard those are predatory truck driving schools.

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    In a way are all of them not preying on the ones who want to learn? They are in business to make money. The other way to do it is to find a small company that has older drivers getting to the point they want to step away, go in a see if you can be a ride along to pick them brains and learn as much as you can.

8. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    Are community college truck driving schools worth the trouble?

Bluedew Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most are excellent. Never heard of a bad one.

Bluedew Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They're not; they have a reputation for excellent training and good paychecks after training.

Bluedew Thanks this.
  11. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    That's good to know. I hear they pay their trainees at Stevens around $500 a week for the first six months of training. Doesn't sound like much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.