Do I really need a home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Maximusthunder, May 10, 2011.

1. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you might be tragically thinking that when you get hired, you will stay on with that employer for a long time, but also, you are thinking you are going to be hired right away...what if there is just ONE THING in your past, that will prevent you from being hired on right away..?? maybe there isn't, but then too, you say that you will be going to school in SEPTEMBER..?? by the time you get out, it'll be CLOSE to winter and guess what, many trucking companies slow down as the freight slows down during the winter months....you may not be hired on as fast as you think.

what will you do not IF but WHEN the company sends you home after orientation because they have no trucks or trainers for you...??? do you reasonably think that you can just "crash at" someone's home and make yourself comfortable in the meantime...eat their food, use their electricity, gas and everything else...??? how long do you think that they will allow you to be a "free-loader"..???

what if that trucking company that hired you, cannot get a driver trainer for 1 to 2 months, can you stay at someone's home living for free off of them...??

you had better read some of the stories here that others have said about going home and waiting and waiting for the trucking company to call them and say come on back we now have a truck and trainer for you...

giving up your apartment IS NOT a good idea.....not IF but WHEN you get sent home, you can live in YOUR place and find a part time job to pay the bills till the company calls you back.....that is...if they ever do.....

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

In the course of a year that write off adds up to thousands of $$$$.

Wargames Thanks this.
  4. bellydumper

bellydumper Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    San Antonio , Texas
    live underneath a bridge!

Wargames Thanks this.
  5. Dave75

Dave75 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    Even better, in a van down by the river!!! :biggrin_2559:

Paddington and Wargames Thank this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
  7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    bellydumper, that was GOOOD. Thanks for the laugh, made my day. :biggrin_2559:

8. Maximusthunder

Maximusthunder Bobtail Member

May 9, 2011
    Syracuse,NY
    As stated, I will keep the crib as long as I need, probably through my training. If and when I get hired, will see how it goes, if all well and good, dump the home. As far as crashing and free-loading, not my style. I have a job now and will be taking the classes part time to be able to continue working and saving up in case work doesn't take off for a bit. I am not thrilled about the winter finish of the classes, but didn't check into the classes until I was already a day late.
    As far as the right-offs, I would guess the only way to getthatis to own your home or you are an owner-operator. Neither would be the case for me, I only get standard as no kids either.
    I appreciate the tips and thoughts!

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You are a ###### fool if you are an OTR driver and file the standard deduction. EVERYTHING you buy...maps, pens, notepads, gloves, etc. to use for work that is not reimbursed by your employer is a tax write-off...even for a company driver. The IRS also allows for "unreimbursed road expenses".....meals, lodging, etc....to be deducted. For commercial drivers operating under the HOS, it is a fixed amount per day, and your log book is verification of this amount.

In other words, if you stay on the road for 365 days as it sounds like you intend to do, that's 365 times $46...or $16,790. You get to deduct 80% of that...or $13,432 that you get to earn and NOT have included in your adjusted gross income. In other words, that is TAX FREE MONEY! What can you do with an extra $150-$175 (depending upon your tax bracket) in your pocket EVERY MONTH? That's pretty much what you'll be pi$$ing away if you don't keep a tax home.

Add to that all of the other things you WILL buy (maps, gloves, work boots, tire gauge, cooler for the truck, CB, etc......), and you can see where I'm not kidding when I say you're a ###### fool if you only take the standard deduction of $5700 for a single person.

Form 2106
    Employee Business Expenses

You don't have to be an owner operator in order to have business expenses. As long as the company does not reimburse you for something you buy that you will use for work, save the receipt because it will likely be able to be written off at the end of the year. Write offs lower your adjusted gross income...which is what is used to calculate how much your tax liability for the year is. Lower AGI = less money paid in taxes = more money in your pocket.

I don't advocate going out and spending money JUST to get another write off...spending a dollar to save 15-20 cents never made much sense to me....but to purposely refuse to deduct something you are already going to buy....or to make a decision which makes you ineligible for a considerable write off that won't cost you a nickle out of your pocket in order to not think of yourself as a "free-loader" is ridiculous. Won't cost you a dime to use your folk's address on your drivers license and claim it as your tax home. They can collect your mail for you and keep it in a box...and you can pick it up when you see them at Christmas (or whenever). You never have to actually set foot in the house during the course of the year...just claim it as your tax home and be able to receive mail there. Since you HAVE to have a permanent address where you can receive mail on your CDL, why pay money for a mail boxes etc. address and lose the deduction when you can use your parent's address and keep the deduction?

Like I said....###### fool if you don't take the deduction.

Maximusthunder and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  10. Maximusthunder

Maximusthunder Bobtail Member

May 9, 2011
    Syracuse,NY
    Pedigreed,
    Thanks for the info,didn't know you could deduct so much(since I haven't been roll'n yet). I will keep that in mind when I do my taxes for sure!
    That said, wouldn't it make sense to set up residency in a state with no income tax? Such as Florida, New Hampshire or Texas?

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011

That all depends upon what it will cost you to set up and maintain residency vs. what you will pay in state income taxes. You'll have to figure out what your expected taxable income is going to be and look at what the state tax is for your home state...then divide that by 12 to get the monthly tax savings you would see if you lived in a state with no income tax.

For example, if you have an AGI of $28,000 and the state tax rate is 6%, that is $1680 that you will pay in state income tax for the year....so in this example, unless you could establish and maintain residency for less than $140/month, it wouldn't be beneficial to you.

Maximusthunder Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.