Do larger trucking companies buy or lease their trucks?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hsingh_2, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I thought they bought them. But, I don't know. That is based off the ability to lease, from Swift, the truck you drive. Seems if they had leased it themselves, sub-leasing it may cause issues.
    Anyway, how do you know they lease them? Is it a swag, or is it based off of some actual information? Just curious.
    Anyway, I just dug through the paperwork in the truck, registration, insurance docs, etc. It appears that Swift Leasing, Inc. Owns the trucks and in turn leases them to Swift Transportation, Inc. Aka, Bean counter mumbo jumbo. So, we may both be alittle right and alittle wrong.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    US Xpress leases their trucks, or at least they used to.

4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Whatever it is , Anything and everything they do is to dodge taxes .

Most companies never pay income tax .

5. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I heard a medium size company did all the lease operators thru a company his sister owned. Kept it all in the family.

Tanker company I worked for. They bought all the trucks. They would rebuild an engine on 650k or 750k mile truck and keep running it.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I remember....my uncle's maintenance region included Allentown so he was part of the purchasing process in the early 70's for Chemical Leaman.

1972 R model ran around $27K and built to spec 486 of em cost CLTL around $17.5K ea. and all were delivered by 'Allen branch' the Allentown dealership.

That was the first year they traded Maxidines and people were lining up to get them.

We all had Mack lighters, hats, bulldog key fobs 'N covers for old land line phones through my uncle. Dad used to beat the dog on his ashtray with his pipe...

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I leased at Swift ... it was in the contract it was a pass through from Navistar leasing. A friend's contract was a pass through from Paccar.

Swift also passed through leases from leasing companies like ENGS and TEL.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Tanker company I work for buys theirs too. Have some Petes with well over 1 million miles on them that still run pretty good.

Some companies buy the trucks with a set deal for the manufacturer to buy them back after xxx miles for a pre established price. JB Hunt used to do this. Maybe still do.

77fib77 and flood Thank this.
  9. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Check the vehicle registration in your permit book. The ownership will be on the registration. If it is leased, then there should be a copy of the lease agreement.

hsingh_2 Thanks this.
  10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    J Rayl started leasing from Ryder a few years ago, I think a big reason was the network of service facilities. They have around 500 trucks and probably 75-80% of them are leased now. They do still buy trucks, all of our local trucks are owned (we still have a shop and mechanics).

hsingh_2 Thanks this.
  11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Several years ago, most of the megas got such a big discount they could buy a new truck, run it for 2 years, and sell it for what they paid. I don’t know if that’s still the case, because prices are all over the place now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.