Do most brokers have Broker Shipper Contract Agreement?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Ben Grinev, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ben Grinev

Ben Grinev Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Just wondering if Broker and Shipper/Customer should sign contract, pretty much stating they will pay agreed amount, provide BOL, broker will provide carrier, etc. Or is that a good way to lose a shipper/customer?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Well I'm not a broker but I'm sure they have some kind of contract. If not the shipper could just pay when ever they felt like it.

4. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    yes they do its pretty much like the carriers/Brokers agreements except its tailored more for the shippers. it spells out basic terms like when payments are made when they will start detention among other things.

dan31186 and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. kaynbeetrucking

kaynbeetrucking Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Check this book out at amazon Freight Brokerage Business. it has all info and docs that you will use to help you with the bizz.Small book $15. gives you guide lines for how to write an contract agreement w costumer.

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Jesus no. Do not just use some contract from Amazon.

Go look up the terms and conditions big brokerages use and steal them. Or go look for the simpler ones in use by older/smaller brokers if that's more your speed.

7. kaynbeetrucking

kaynbeetrucking Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    lol its not a contract drafted by amazon, hahaha its a book you have to read and do research it has all the FMCSA regulations and resources for driver/brokers. lol

8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Dude, he's trying to save you a lot of heartache, here. Real talk - you're going to inadvertently run into shady customers who don't pay their bills. As a start-up brokerage, that can be the kiss of death. If you accidentally give them a way to weasel out of it because you decided you'd work up a contract based off of terms you found in a book, you're gonna be in a world of hurt. Imagine that you've extended out $10,000 on a load for someone, and they loophole you out. That's a big hit to your bottom line, because you're still on the hook to the carrier in question, since you hired them to provide the service.

It is absolutely imperative to make sure you've got your end wired tight, or you're gonna get punched out of business quick.

kaynbeetrucking Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I don't have to read ####. I've been in the business for years and years. I wrote a book like that to train new employees. You can't have it for 5,000 dollars much less <50. Pardon me for being extremely skeptical that anyone wrote down anything useful. You'll notice that there are almost no industry specific nitty gritty guides on the market anywhere. For any part of our industry. That's because all of the entrenched players (including me) want you to fail.

Anything anyone put in an ebook for 15 dollars would instantly be useless if it were actually useful before it went into the book. The primary market for books like that is people trying to take a shortcut (that's you) and baby brokers at big brokerages. The latter group is actually in a position to use any information in the book pretty aggressively. Any tricks you give them are instantly worthless because they are crowded to the point where they barely work by those baby brokers.

I told you how to get a customer contract that makes sense and was written by an actual attorney for actual use by an actual freight brokerage. Your position was that buying a random book of Amazon was better. You should find a new line of work. A mediocre ######## detector is a fatal flaw in my world.

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Incidentally, the above is why anyone trying to sell you a boot camp on how to be a freight broker, or any other such nonsense is selling you a false bill of goods. That #### is straight predatory in its nature. I tell people this all the time- if you want to learn the brokerage side of things, go find an office that's hiring, and learn on their dime. All of these janky classes that charge anywhere from $500-$5000 cannot possibly teach you how things actually work.

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Amen. I've answered this question 5-10 times since I started posting here. There are no shortcuts that can be taken safely without personal connections. That is all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.