Do national carriers give you a choice of areas?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GrandmaRosa, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Good question.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    YOU DO NOT tell anyone in a trucking Company you have family here or friends there. It WILL MAKE SURE you are NEVER routed that way.

You go where the freight goes. If you need to find another company to bring freight to where you like to go? Quit the old company and hire onto the new company that goes where you like to be at generally.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    My company lets me take hometime wherever family is. Haven’t asked me to provide proof either. So far they’ve been able to get me routed wherever I wanted for a few days off. Never been too so many conventions before or got paid to travel there.

GrandmaRosa Thanks this.
  5. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    . I took it as any national carrier because of the letter A before. And a singular adjective at that.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That was my thinking as well, and with that in mind I would say to the OP that LTL carriers might have bid runs where you run where you sign up to, OTR truckload carriers don’t tend to operate that way. With them you go where the freight takes you.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  7. splittero1

splittero1 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I think he meant national carrier as in a company that goes all 48 not as in national carriers the company that started in Liberal

GrandmaRosa and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am reminded that once in a blue moon a very happy dispatcher will splurge his words with one beautiful question while pointing to the USA and Canada in General..

Where do you want to go for your next load?

What I should have said is Alaska. But no I am that kid who always get picked second because my picker is not all that quick on the spot with so many to choose from.

9. GrandmaRosa

GrandmaRosa Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2020
    national used as an adjective.

10. GrandmaRosa

GrandmaRosa Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Is LTL usually freight that you have to load and unload or is it usually no-touch?

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Depends whether you work linehaul or pickup/delivery, also known as road vs city.

City drivers have to load and unload but they are paid hourly, vs the road drivers that don’t, but they get paid a flat rate per run.

GrandmaRosa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.