Do They Check Your Medical Records?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by park, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If you wish to get technical.

He is correct on the disqualification for driving. HOWEVER, a waiver can be obtained, but not guaranteed.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironhand

ironhand Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2010
    REALLY?
    I got two year card 3 months ago and a another dot physical today and got a 90 day because my BP was up, it runs higher earlier in the day. They almost failed me on hearing whispers but in the sound booth I just cut it. Guess what?
    2nd day at orientation and got let go because they won't do a 90 day card.
    Dream job in the toilet because of the farce dot physical. IT DEPENDS ON WHO DOES THE PHYSICAL:biggrin_2558:One was easy
    the other :biggrin_25510: was like a nasa astronaught physical.
    The company kept the 90 day card because they paid for it. My previous two year is now VOID. When you start with a new company they make you take a new physical. If they were allowed by the DOT to let me drive with the one I had I would we working. Now I have NO MEDICAL CARD. I can't drive a truck. I miss the old days. When I decided to drive a truck again I had no idea how bad thing had gotten in the industry.
    Funny thing is no matter how hard you drive you will NEVER ever make what people in the goverment make. :biggrin_25511:Sorry bout the rant but the dot physical is not a farce.

Added On Edit By Mastertech
    Keep your language clean!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    mje Thanks this.
  4. park

park Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Buda, TX
    Sorry to hear about that, I no how you feel. I just wish they would look at the person. Last month when I was riding with my son in law we had just been talking about this medical thing when we pulled into a truck stop just west of Houston. I'm 170 lbs 5'11" and can hold my own. We were walking into the flying J and noticed several drivers that could hardly make it across the parking lot with out losing their breath. We just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    mje Thanks this.
  5. RoadsideWellCare

RoadsideWellCare Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Hubbard, OH
    I'm a little late commenting...and most has been addressed already, but as a DOT medical provider...I will give me two cents.

I agree with the guy saying other drivers (cars, vans etc....) should also have medical exams performed. How many times do the elderly hit the gas instead of the brake? Too many times. Unfortunately CMV drivers are under the microscope because the "potential" of damage is much greater. From the type of load (i.e. hazardous) to just the mere size/weight of the load. Whether this is warrented or not, the cards have been dealt so lets play our hand the best all of us can.

I ABSOLUTELY sympathize with a new hire/existing driving that all of the sudden gets denied a medical card. I couldn't imagine the family devastation of that scenario. I don't want to imagine it either. Some states (i.e. New York) require a new student enrolling in CMV driving school, be "prescreened" in order to avoid unfortunate situations later and so the school doesn't waste the poor students money. I like this idea.

Having said what I did above....I also do not want to lose my "privilege" of performing DOT Physicals and other testing. I have children and also can't afford to loss my job.

Some providers out there will find themselves losing their privilege to perform these when the certification goes into play and they aren't performing exams to standard.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
    The D.O.T. sends random "medical card shoppers" to clinics like mine. I MUST be thorough with every one of my exams. Please understand that. Those guys doing "pencil whip" exams will be gone in 3 years. The new law (DOT physician certification) is scheduled to be put on the books January 7th 2011. Providers have, I believe, two years to shape up...get trained...or ship out.

Side note:
    Please don't slip your examiner a "Jackson" for a two year medical card. It just makes the situation difficult and awkward. I say this through experience.

FINALLY:
    If you as a CMV driver has found out that you suddenly have a condition that is/maybe disqualifying...your best bet is to begin looking for another job SOON before your company/next medical examiner finds out (per regulation you must immediately notify your employer and/or physician so proper adjustments can me made to determine your ability to perform your duties). I'm not being a jerk....just trying to save a family some major hardship.

Drive Safe.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    ironhand and mje Thank this.
  6. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Does anyone have any PERSONAL, FIRST HAND knowledge of the facts, please no anecdotal evidence or hearsay, if you are involved in an accident, are the investigators allowed access to your medical records even without your permission?
    I have not had the circumstances come up YET, but I have a REAL reason to be concerned.
    Spare me the lecture about being safe to drive, I have driven almost 16 years and suffered with this medical condition for a lot longer, I believe that alone proves that the "experts" are wrong and I am safe to drive!!!

7. ironhand

ironhand Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2010
    NO ONE can look at your medical records except your company that you have signed a release for and the government can get access by following procedure through their dept. Thanks to 911 and the patriot act. Good question we have been GIVING our rights away.:biggrin_25510:

mje Thanks this.
  8. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Stranger,

take a look at them. a rookie with less than 10 posts. that attitude won't keep him here OR on the road long hopefully.

stranger Thanks this.
  9. fawne

fawne Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    michigan
    amen!
    Sorry but it is not that hard to sit at a wheel and hold it!!

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    If that was the only thing we did...this job would be a hell of a lot easier!!!

11. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    no sitting and "holding a wheel" isn't that hard. putting up with the mental demands of the job, the long unusual hours trhat can be needed, and the tolls your body takes over an 11 hour day sitting isn't going to improve your health.

There are some with disqualifying medical conditions who can still do the job well, but there are others with lesser conditions who can't do the job worth a ######. The system isn't perfect by any measure but roadside is spot on about doing the job he has to do. If you don't like the system then fight to change it at the appropriate levels. Don't target doctors and nurses who are doing their jobs correctly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.