Do truckers use the CB anymore?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jmarc77, May 11, 2022.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't talk a lot on mine on the interstates, but 70% of my running is on the two lanes and I use it a lot more there. My truck was in the shop for a couple days. The truck they put me in didn't have a radio and I sure did miss it. Kept reaching for the mic and it wasn't there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I also have mine on most of the time and radio traffic is almost not existent. Sometimes I have gone weeks without hearing anything, but strangely in the last few weeks several other drivers have spoken to me and I always respond back. In my case after I have given my rig a good cleaning and polishing it seems to get me conversations from other drivers. Usually other older drivers but not always the case. With the limited radio traffic I don’t encounter the BS that once was rather common. Since I run a regular route I do get to speak to some of the other regulars I know. Talking to others on the CB to occupy the time was just one of the fun aspects of trucking many years ago many years before the cellphone was prevalent.

4. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Yep definitely have it on whilst running skinny roads...

5. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I think there are a lot more people with the radio on than we might think. They're just not talking. I have one that's almost always on, but I rarely talk on it. Mostly just relating to traffic. I talk more on ham radio, but I find it to be similar. People will complain there's nobody on, but I've found if I initiate a call, I can always find somebody to talk to. People just don't want to be the one to initiate the conversation.

6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Just like the alarm clock,
    Walkman radio,
    Home phone,
    Wrist watches,
    And dirty book stores,

The smartphone has almost killed the cb radio.
    Customers don't even use them anymore.

7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The people that matter still use CB. The idiots that don't use CB get stuck in traffic

8. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Right on queue. I was waiting for that statement.

Blue jeans, Oxbow, The_vett and 3 others Thank this.
  9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Think about it

Many had little if any contact with others at home so the CB of the time is the FB or cell phone of today

In the past drivers couldn’t call home until at a TS.
    Now we can FaceTime anyone at anytime and I can be on the phone talking with another trucker friend who’s several States away

I do think tho that there needs to be some sort of amber alert warning for traffic or accidents etc that our phones or even stereo systems will alert us
    There’s no reason our phones or stereos can’t communicate and alert

10. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    What!!!!!
    You don’t like the round table discussion’s??

That’s usually when I leave. When the round table in the background starts talking all crazy like

11. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Should have pre planned my posts and made just 1
    But
    I also use Waze. It is about 90% accurate with issues and cops further out than a cb other than guys on the opposite side as long as you sorta watch the map
    I thing Google maps will alert as well

Maybe a truck gps that will route us around issues?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.