Do you agree with reserved truck stop parking?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by MooneyBravo, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I disagree. This is your opinion. As for newbies, you either have not been in, or around the industry for long, and seen the changes in the drivers of today, compared to those of yesteryears. There is no respect, courtesy, mentality has gotten worse (listen to a cb), If you have been out here more than a year or two, as you allude to being. Then you'd remember when if a driver was broke down, several drivers would stop to lend a hand, ask if they were okay, or needed help, the radio was used for it's real intended purpose, drivers were know for their courtesy, and in the public's eye we were the "knights of the Road". You explain to me how, when, and why we lost that title, and when the turn to uneducated, trashy, disrespectful, lazy, slobs came into place. I do not wear shorts, P.J bottoms with flip flops, or clothes that make me look like i just crawled out of bed, or from a dumpster behind he travel plaza. I shower daily, am well educated, have respect for most of the drivers in the industry, who present themselves in such a deserving manner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Who said anything as to a minority group. It is my business, and i have the right to refuse business to whom i chose. That is the freedom, and rights i have as an American, a business owner. I have never seen a driver not spend money in those travel plazas. That is your choice a driver, if you chose not to spend money in my truck stop. This is one of the freedoms you have "freedom of choice"

4. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I do not count from 1989 to 1991. As it was local.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I agree.
    The fact of the matter is truck stops don't make nearly as much money as a lot of people think. I think pilot and fj have it figured out. Ta/p does not. Somewhere on here a few months ago, it was posted ta had huge revenue, over $1b I believe, and showed a profit of 1 or 2 million. Don't remember the numbers exactly, remember it wasn't even 1%. They don't make much on fuel, most customers are on a discount card. Restaurants don't make much as they are overpriced and the food generally sucks. Convenience store same deal. Overpriced and all crap. Drivers stretch their dollar and eat in their trucks, using the truck stop for fuel and a free shower and a parking space. I've become one of these drivers, albeit for different reasons.

I don't use pay to park but I don't need it either. If I ran areas where parking is scarce then yes I would use it. I prefer the method of pay to get in then reimburse if you bought enough fuel or inside money spent. People are funny when it comes to spending money. I hate the idea and probably never will pay for a parking spot. That doesn't mean I think others are dumb for thinking otherwise. I will however go in and drop 20-25$ on restaurant meals. (Used to). Some people would think I'm an idiot for that. I don't like spending $ on showers either. Others will spend the $15 without thinking twice. Different strokes for different folks.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    It is rare I have issues finding parking, but have no issue if pay parking is the only option. And I rarely eat at a truck stop, the food in most cases is crap. I have my local TA up near Ann Arbor, Dexter MI... I used to joke with the store manager that they should really consider putting in a restaurant. They have restaurant, that Country thing...

When that particular TA was the old 76, they had The Wagon Wheel, it was always packed with both locals and drivers. It is a shame What the TA did to these once vibrant truck stops. Now they need to supplement their income with pay parking and outrageous prices in their C stores. Not much of a business model.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Didn’t they try that in Wyoming? a truck stop for owner ops only, no company trucks allowed.
    I wonder how that turned out

8. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I realize parking is scarce in many areas, especially those few truck stops near cities, or metropolitan areas. I do see the pay to park, but i am against reserved spaced. It was always first come, first serve. Jessup,MD was famous for the pay to park, unless you bought x amount of fuel, or x amount in the store. I think reserve parking spaces is a joke. Drivers complained about the spaces that were taken up by the old Idle-Aire system when it was in business. It took up valuable spaces

9. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I have been out here for a long time, tried planning ven when paper logs were the norm. I want to be in your truck, when you plan out your trip, and see how well your ESP of construction, traffic, accidents, weather, and so forth F.U your well laid out plan. I beg to differ, that no amount of planning, or contingency plan will make your job any easier. Having back-up plan is a good idea, only if your ELD (not mine) will allow it. See it seems to me most of you today are tied to the ELD, and it dictates your whole day.

10. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    STEXAN
    I plan everyday too. I plan on waking up, and i plan on at sometime going to bed.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    Do you agree with reserved truck stop parking?

in a way...yes. BUT, i do not run the road anymore, and back when i did, i had NO problem finding truck parking at ANY truck stops across America

however (i think) that there are at least a dozen or two more trucks on the road these days, compared to what, like 35 years ago when i was LONG HAUL..??

those
    dozen (or more) extra trucks on the roads these days, seem to follow a driver to EVERY STINKING TRUCKSTOP, making it MORE difficult to find parking.

if i were to run the road again, then YES, i'd reserve parking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.