Do you carry birth certificate and SS with you? Also what clothes?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Since you’re out weeks at a time and don’t have the time to get home, do you carry your birth certificate and social security with you since you never know when you may need it?

Also, are there requirements as far as clothes go? Can I wear sweatpants? Do I have to wear boots or are sneakers fine?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Going back a few years I have had a USB storage dongle loaded with PDFs of ALL my vital documents. DD214 to my shot records. Everything! This is how I recommend drivers do this. A SS card should be in your wallet. There are no real clothing rules.

tscottme and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nope. And nope.

Clothing? Flip flops and something from goodwill with the dirt and bugs still living in it. It don't cost much. -50 or +130 in the Sonora is very good. Freezes the pests off or burns em off. Either way problem sovled. //SARCASM.

I stay out almost a year at a time and don't hardly pull out any of the papers because no one cares. A couple of truckstops might challenge me walking to my truck with my wife who also holds a CDL. No hooker thing here, beat it Mr Nosey Staff.

Most people don't understand that once your company gets through having you anoint a inch stack of forms with your blood and treasure in orientation over a week, you are free to roam our blessed 48 states and part of Canada without anyone asking you Papers Please for anything. They simply do not care. You do not exist as a problem sufficiently important to require papers other than just the DL and insurance on you.

pmdriver Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Why would you need a birth certificate and SS card with you?
    Look professional when you go to customer's property, nobody cares what you wear inside the truck

TravR1, Tb0n3, mhyn and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    NO..to the birth certificate, NO to the SS card.

all you need to happen is get "rolled" or mugged, or your truck broken into, and you just gave the criminals Carte Blanche on your life....!!!!

clothing..??

sure, but i prefer to drive nekked.....

Bean Jr. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Privacy is a real concern. I have seen mechanics go through a drivers private files while working on a truck. This is why I recommend NO HARD COPIES. I kept all of my personal papers in my briefcase with emergency cash. However I did keep PDFs. However if you do keep these records with you secure them. In my case I had my stuff encrypted.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive had a form of sexual attack combined with a home invasion trucking style at least one time already with my poor wife. I regret the bad guy got away. There will not be a next time. Then again Im glad he got fleeing. It would have been such a mess to clean a few gallons of blood from the cab among other problems.

As far as the thuggies, been there done that too. Best to have not much of anything on you other than what is useful when the come for you. You do need to prevent obesity and remain fit enough to take care of the thuggies. They are so cute... and a bit scrawny and shaky from never eating well. No wonder they need help. Poor things. Maybe the catholic sisters of the mission to shelter thuggies will come out and help me with the poor waifs.

//Sarcam.

9. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    What about a gun, should I get a gun for the crazies?

TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I want to expand on my comment a bit. I am going to tie it into that printer thread that was recently moved. I had a 3 in one scanner printer. When I got inspected I scanned the form and sent it to my carrier for my 25 bucks. I kept a copy too. Then tossed the hard copy. Because I used transflo to scan my bills and logs I also kept copies of my bills lumper receipts and logs. Right on my USB dongle I kept in my locked briefcase. I can remember several cases of getting contacted by billing about a missing bill. Once while I was in the terminal. I used an old laptop one of the bosses had, put the dongel in and fixed the problem in a matter of a few minutes. I admit I am an anal retentive when it comes to files and general paperwork. Think about this. I have a small SD micro chip that is large enough to hold close to a million pieces of paper worth of data. Yet the size of a dime. Photos and other things can be stored. I have every one of my high school football games taken from film today on MP4s and on another SD card. I will say this though, everyday situations you should never need these vital documents while on the road. Its good either way. Just try to keep them in digital form with encryption if you choose to keep them.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HA. no. Then again yes, if you have the permits to carry it. Just keep in mind whatever you do out here aint legal in Jersey or NY etc. You WILL be arrested no questions asked instantly. (Hollowpoint ammunition or larger capacity magazines etc comes to mind) I remember a M&P Shield 2.0 comes with 14 rounds standard factory plus one. That's 5 more than legal in NYS. or NYC.

Never mind the other 48 rounds on the inner magazine holster ready to go. That's about 20 seconds of boom boom.

Nah, guns are not that needed, we are a Nice country to be in. It's just a matter of how you define yourself in life. Are you a Provider for your family and children or are you a meek sheep baa'ing after your overlords in life?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.