Do you float gears or double clutch?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Unkl L, May 16, 2012.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Interesting, because in Iowa if you don't double clutch, you fail the road test. I looked in the federal CDL manual, and it describes the method to shift, and it is double clutching. I wonder if some states don't follow the federal Model CDL manual??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Me too. I learned to DC to pass the CDL road test 16 years ago and the first thing I learned in training was how to float. Hadn't double clutched since. I recently changed company's to a larger one and was a little worried because so many of those require you to DC in the road test anyway and I hadn't done that in 16 years. We get in the truck and the road test person said "you float or double clutch"? I said "OK I'll be up front here. You like your transmission? Wanna keep it in the truck?" "Yeah". "OK, then I'm gonna float em. You want me to double clutch and I'll try but I'll probably tear hell out of your transmission." "By all means float away then", and we both chuckled.

I think most companies now are more interested in progressive shifting and skip shifting to improve fuel economy than whether you use the clutch or float. Long as you can shift without tearing up the tranny then it's mostly personal preference. Floating sure does save the knees, though. So does my "how to get through a traffic jam without killing your left leg" trick. Develop a gap in front of you. Look at the traffic way in front of you and the speed at which they move during the "go" phase of the stop and go. With that gap choose a low gear that at idle keeps you moving in that gap. It may be 3rd or lower even or it may be as high as 5, but there's a gear that at idle keeps you moving. The gap will close and open as cars jump in and out in front of you, but keep the goal as keeping the gap and you'll stay steady and that left leg and knee won't be begging for mercy stopping and going. It does take a few minutes longer usually but only a couple in the end and you can always tell anyone that asks that you were maintaining a gap as a space cushion to prevent a lane change accident from lane hoppers. We know it was a knee saver, but hey, if it adds safety that's cool too.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Friz

Friz Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    I took my driving test in California, and they did not require double clutching either.

5. ChainBinder

ChainBinder Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Frankfort, Indiana
    I double clutched for a while...now I can't get my left leg in the truck...:biggrin_25520:

HotH2o Thanks this.
  6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    You got a relaxed examiner because double clutching is supposed to be required in California.

7. chicknwing

chicknwing Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Float....once in a while I use the clutch to pop it out of gear. The clutch is for starting and stopping.

TwinStickPeterbilt Thanks this.
  8. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    I agree with chicken wing. I've drove every transmission out there, except a 8 speed. Every now and then you have to reach down there and get her out of gear.

chicknwing Thanks this.
  9. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Double clutching for now in school, looking forward to learning other methods.

10. dogchimp

dogchimp Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2013
    My co driver is conviced floating kills the clutch plate, so I get a dirty look when I do it and he's awake...instead I just use the play in the top of the clutch and pretend I'm double clutching, but I float all the way

11. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Float... though will double clutch at first when oil in trans is really cold and thick when the truck has been sitting overnight

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.