Do you guys worry about com like tusimple making driverless trucks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brandonsupramkv, Nov 21, 2020.

1. WrightTrucker33

WrightTrucker33 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    I think 20 years we should be worried

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    That’s got to be fun on slick roads.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t forget the car in the next lane turning right, the yellow diamond sign in the median where you’re about to take a right turn, and the overpass at the bottom of a hill that the stupid contraption thinks is at eye level when you’re approaching it. :rolleyes:

Thankfully if the radar box gets covered with snow it stops working, at least on my truck.

5. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I somehow got incredibly lucky when my truck was assigned. It’s a 2020 Cascadia but it doesn’t have any of the collision avoidance or front or driver cameras in it. All the other 2020s in our fleet have the the collision systems from what I can tell. I’m sticking around and plan on keeping this one until the day they force me out of it!

86scotty, magoo68 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Not worried about it in the slightest. I just don’t see it. Jump on in driver. And worst case you’ll still get to drive, just from home with your virtual reality head set on!

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder if that will mean the so-called “drivers” of the world will now take a dump next to their recliners since the bathroom might be too far to waddle. :biggrin_25520:

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Read an article this morning that Tesla is planning on mass production and sales of their truck in 2021, and they have the battery tech perfected to get over 600 miles in a charge under a "nearly" full load. I guess all of that extra weight from batteries and electric motors weighs more than a diesel engine. They aren't planning on the trucks being driverless (for now) and while the autopilot feature will work on highways, they aren't prepared to make them completely autonomous just yet. At least not until after they settle all of the wrongful death lawsuits from their cars killing people in autopilot mode.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forklift batteries weigh more than an engine.

stuckinthemud and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I was looking at their page. Basically 2KWH per mile electricity usage. I pay .15/KWH for electricity where I'm at, and my trucks run at about 7mpg. That's barely a savings over my current fuel price of 2.20 a gallon. I will admit that their driver centered cab actually makes sense. While it's not autonomous, it does have autopilot. Performance with a full load is astounding if it's reality. Price is on par with other trucks on the market.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    someone Who did simple math I love it.PS What happens in a supply and demand industry when the supply goes down ( electricity )

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.