Do you have advice for an Elder newbie ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by quatto, Mar 17, 2013.

1. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Wonderful and inspiring story that I just had to re-quote ! I read it to my wife and we both smiled together. Thank you so much for your lovely words of encouragement !

It's interesting to me how this profession can come to serve as a reaffirmation of the intrinsic value of a human. It seems to transcend the boundary of being just a job you make money with-- it instills a positive invigoration of the soul. Like you, I almost feel reborn and rejuvenated with self-esteem. A guy my age starting a career that pays well where I can get hired easily ? I can't believe it's true ! I think I died and went to a chocolate factory !

(BTW...Can anyone tell me if I should quote everyone I reply to? I feel I'm leaving a mess.)

Skydivedavec, mje and Jakaby Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    George first appeared in 1962, believe it or not. I was 11 when I first watched him and The Flintstones on Saturday mornings. The first two seasons of the Flintstones was in black and white only. (...He said spouting off useless trivia) :biggrin_255:

mje Thanks this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    quatto, I have to give it to you, I'm 63 and recently retired from my trucking career. If you are interested in trucking then by all means go for it, as long as you know at first you may have to sacrifice a little time away from the wife and furry child , but once you get some miles behind you , say at least 1 year , you should have several other job options become available. Dry van would be your best bet , probably til you have proven yourself, (it may take a bit of time given your age). But once you have some time in don't discount pulling a tank, or do bulk hauling. Lots of money to be made there and its not too demanding physically. One word of advice though... try and get as many of the endorsements as possible on your CDL as well as the TWIC and pass-port deal, this will open many more doors to you. Good luck sir, keep the board up-dated on your progress!

mje, quatto and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  5. Jakaby

Jakaby Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Thanks for the kind words!

You can reply to as much or many as you want. The Internet has a ways to go before its filled up.

mje and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    You must not have read my interests in my bio...

mje Thanks this.
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I try to leave out the quote part if they are a long one.

flatbed tarps can weight up to 75 lbs.

slinging those suckers around gets a bit much as you get older and wore out.lol

tankers aren't too bad, the hoses can get heavy , but the climbing up on top in inclement weather is the part that got me.

no hand holds up there and it can get icy in the winter.

doing the dry bulk tanks is about the same, except filling from a railroad car is a real pain.

hook up the hoses,climb on your tank to hook up the "stinger",(shoots the product to front or down), climb on the rail car to vent it, climb back up on your tank to change stinger. climb back on tanker to close. whew.

wore me out typing it. now do this in the sleet, snow or rain.

not this old fart. lol

dry van now.regional, home on weekends and sometimes during the week a time or 2.

I don't make the big bucks, but can pay the bills.

good luck to ya. !

8. Njnoob

Njnoob Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Northcentral NJ
    My husband is in his mid-60s and has considered school. When I was in school, I asked about his age, and they said no problem ... My husband is in great shape for his age too. There were a few guys at school who were around 60 ....

Chinatown, quatto and mje Thank this.
  9. chief890

chief890 Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mansfield, OH
    Maverick has a small terminal in Middletown, OH. Close to Cincinnati

Skydivedavec and mje Thank this.
  10. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    I'll try an take your advice because you're older than I am. ;-)

I'm not sure how "dry van" differs from "bulk hauling". Would you be so kind as to explain that?

Thanks for the great advice. BTW....What kind of trucking did you do before you retired?

mje Thanks this.
  11. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Thanks for the encouragement, Njnoob ! I hope your husband goes for it. Everything I've read and researched seems to indicate trucking is a good opportunity for us "seasoned" types....LoL. ( I'll never admit I'm old even if they waterboard me with hydraulic oil !)

Njnoob, Skydivedavec and mje Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.