Do you have advice for an Elder newbie ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by quatto, Mar 17, 2013.

1. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Just passed the DOT physical and drug screen and will begin training on April fools day...LoL

This may split the thread but I heard some very encouraging news from the school's placement officer. She related the following:

1. That the school gets new grads hired at a rate of 90% or better. She said it would be higher except that many students are in the military and cannot go to work upon graduation because of their enlistments.

2. That most of the hires they find are local jobs with decent starting salaries.

3. That she never has to call employers because they all call her constantly looking for drivers.

4. That the old myth of needing to go OTR for 6 months or better isn't true in today's market. Companies are dying for drivers and they are almost guaranteed work out of school.

If I hadn't already paid for the school and signed on the dotted line I'd have thought this to be just blue sky BS. However, I spoke to one student and he was hired even before finishing his course. He will be hauling heavy loads of 100k lbs or more, home every day, 600/wk to start, .46cpm after 240 days.

Anyone want to comment on the above ?

In case I forgot to say it I really appreciate everyone here that has taken the time to share their wisdom and advice. You guys are the best !

Skydivedavec, x#1 and mje Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Not bad for an "old fart"...Congrats! Can't comment on the heavy haul pay, never done any of it. But to me that sounds just a little thin....so does .46 cpm after almost a year of that sort of specialized work, but like I said I have never done that kind of hauling. Just want to wish you all the luck possible though POP.......:biggrin_25525:

mje, Skydivedavec and quatto Thank this.
  4. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    $600/wk to run heavy loads? I mean, I made as much running a five axle when I first started back in 2002. But good for him, I guess?

5. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Errrr....thanks ! But I think my bad writing didn't make things clear, my friend. I was speaking of another student (besides myself) with one month of 'experience' getting hired *before* he has graduated from my school. They signed him on at the above pay with zero experience in the real world.

However, it's really nice to know that you guys (you and WitchingHour) think that's bad pay !

Skydivedavec, Chinatown and mje Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I can't comprehend any truck driver saying flatbed is hard work; those that say this obviously haven't done flatbedding. It's no harder than mowing your lawn or changing a flat tire on your car. Plus, no sitting for hours at grocery warehouses or truckstops waiting for loads. Most flatbed companies pay about $40.00 to tarp a load; that's easy money. Maybe flatbedding is hard work if you've spent your youth playing video games and watching TV. To most of us older drivers, it's a piece of cake.

7. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    I think they are comparing it with the drop n' hook loads. Personally, I'd love flatbed---pay is better and you get to exercise and stay in shape !

Are there any flatbed companies in Washington state you'd recommend?

Chinatown and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    System Transport & they hire new CDL graduates.

quatto and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  9. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Fantastic ! Thanks.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  10. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    just pokin fun at you quatto......you know since you are at such an advanced age.....:biggrin_25525:

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee

I agree. About all they got is strapping and tarping. That's like making a bed, lol. I can't count the floor loads I tailgated and unloaded myself. Lazyboy furniture stacked 3 high, HON metal office funiture, windows stacked two high, 10,000 hanging suits you had to put on racks, plants stacked to the ceiling ....etc., etc. Not to mention working the docks unloading/loading LTL. I broke more than one sweat. Then I got smart with lumpers!

I saw this I thought of you quatto! :)

[​IMG]

Skydivedavec, Chinatown and quatto Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.