Do you have to get blood work in order to get blood pressure meds?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 18, 2018.

1. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Provider may have wanted to check kidney function

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    I've been on BP meds for 25 years. A Dr. will want labs done to see your chlorestrial, triglyerides, sodium, potussium, etc.

Some of the BP meds can effect kidney and/or liver functions. He will need to check all those things and then monitor things once or twice a year.

Start keeping a BP log and keep at it after you start the meds, take in to the Dr. with you.

Most Drs. will work with you if they see you being proactive and making lifestyle changes.

Plan on a couple of visits a month apart then another in 3 months. If things are going well you may not have go back for 6, 9, or even 12 months.

Best of luck to you.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  4. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Interesting! Does fasting help? How much does fasting lower blood pressure?

5. oldtrucker66

Jan 1, 2015
    The CVS Minute Clinic was probably staffed by a PA or Nurse Practioner and they can write prescriptions.

cybill234 Thanks this.
  6. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Regular doctors are kind of hard to come by, especially out here in the sticks. All the new MD grads would rather work in the city to be close to the opera halls and coffee joints. Getting onto one of the few remaining, general practice doctors out here is like waiting for a quality bid to open up on an LTL.

7. oldtrucker66

Jan 1, 2015
    Here's a tip for finding a good primary care doctor. Call a pharmacy, specifically a small, independent one. Ask who are some of the oldest doctors and PAs in town. If they say it is against policy to recommend a doctor, respond that you are not looking for a recommendation. You already have a recommendation (a tiny fib) but you can't remember who it is. What you do remember is that they are old and have been practicing for many years. In fact, you can't even remember if it is a doctor, osteopath, physician assistant or nurse practioner.

@bentstrider83 In Portales NM try Portales Professional Compounding or Village Pharmacy. I believe these are two independent pharmacies.

If you appreciate what I've written, be sure to hit "Thank".

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Go to a doctor, have them prescribe meds.

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    If you haven't had a full physical, which includes your blood labs, in some time, you should have it done, might save your life.

cybill234 Thanks this.
  10. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you have something to hide by not having blood work done, you may have problems that don't go well with truck driving. Just saying.

11. traderpats

traderpats Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Oregon
    Whatever you do in the short term keep up the thought of diet and exercise to get your BP down naturally. I was rocking a BP of approximately 150 over something about a year ago.. I was shocked, never had high BP before. Anyways I lost around 45 lbs thru BOTH diet and exercise. Today my BP came in at 115/70....that is without any meds at all. Hope that helps....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.