Do you have to register your medical card with the DMV?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mrrast2u, Jan 21, 2018.

1. mrrast2u

mrrast2u Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Do you have to register your medical card with the DMV

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Yes. Don't trust anyone who tells you different, even if they work for the DMV. Take in a copy of your physical report personally, some states require the original. Some states require only the card. California wants the entire long form report.

I got a North Dakota license while I was working up there a few years back. I called them to ask if they needed me to send them a copy of my new physical since I was working out of state. The gal on the phone said there was no need, that it would be entered into a database by my physician, I have no idea why I chose to believe her. Six months or so later I got put out of service in CO for a suspended license. I had the forms on me and my card, but they wouldn't let me go till ND cleared me the next morning.

Better safe than sorry, drop them off in person.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your medical card is tied to your CDL. You will show the DMV that card, swear to a document called Tier One which means complete freedom in Intrastate and Interstate commerce with a valid card.

I was medically retired for years but kept my CDL without a medical card under Tier Two swearing to that every so often under our Grandfathered rules. As the Revenuer explained to me, Tier two provides a resource of drivers who hold a Valid CDL that will be accessed when our Country gets attacked to where it's necessary to haul dead bodies in reefer away from the nuclear zone or some other large disaster. Tier two allowed me to hold a CDL without a Medical card. I would not be legal at all for work in state or around the USA.

5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    AL allows you to do a self affidavit to your driving status on the internet, but you still have to mail them a copy of the long form. Ours go to the CDL Unit in Montgomery, AL. You have only 10 days to get the copy mailed to them after you do the internet. It was supposed to be originally after a year of so of getting this new deal started that the registered Dr who did the physical would also send the copy of the forms in electronically the same day the physical was done, cutting out the driver handling the paperwork and the possibility of that person committing fraud over a fake medical form. How many years has that been now and it still isn't being done.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The first thing I did thing after renewal, I went to my DMV to register it.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  7. TampaTony

TampaTony Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    I just reinstated my CDL in Florida. I had to go get a new DOT physical at a urgent care. The urgent care will inter your DOT physical results into a DOT database. The DMV still wanted to physically see the med card in order to reinstate my CDL. So I guess the answer is YES and No.. lol

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, depending on the state...In all states it has to be done, just how is the diffrence.

In Michigan (of all places, considering how backwards this state is on everything else) you can go up the the Secretary of State (DMV equivalent here) website and do the certification needed. Other states you have to go in to the actual office and let then do the certification.

NavigatorWife and TampaTony Thank this.
  9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    AL still requires a copy of the long form to be mailed in. Or if you are lucky, faxed in. I don't trust these places really. The website can be checked to see if it has been validated. I believe I was getting antsy the one time and his ended up being faxed in because it wasn't showing up.

ZVar Thanks this.
  10. mangdriver

mangdriver Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ma requires a copy, you can scan it and certify online

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.