Do you know any thing about UPS Freight good or bad?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by tnccrutcher, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I applied for the position and got called the same day for an interview. I do know they aren't as laid back as YRC but at the same time I don't cause trouble or look for it. I wouldn't do p/d and dead not a package car again FORGET THAT. Yea I know there's a fight between UPSF and overnite but can't be worse than at YRC. It didn't mention dock work for road drivers however I do know they have p/d do it. I don't like working the dock. Guess ill go for my interview and see what they offer. If its like CWF where line haul works the dock then its adios to that

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    Lots of them don't like working there. Being paid well just takes care of one less thing to complain about.

4. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Im sure a lot has to do with being from Overnite. If you ask the old school Yellow or Roadway guys they all hate their job and and say how chitty YRC is. But if you ask us guys who didnt work for YRC we are happy with the job, except the BS that YRC is going through. I guess the best thing to do is when I get there pull a driver or two aside and ask how the terminal is when I interview

5. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Hey it's always worth checking into. They were gonna hire me for a line position and then once they did all the back round (that took about 6 weeks), they offered me a local job. Said the line position had been filled. This was even after orientation! I said I don't do local and was very clear about that! The TM at the yard I went to looked really stressed out all the time. Needless to say they weren't happy about my decision not to take the job. In fact they black balled me from applying again lol!

6. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Yea I would be mad as well. I would e said what's with the false advertising LOL

7. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Had my interview today, although I am takin quite a pay decrease, it does end up higher than YRCs at top rate. Same union same local, allowed to work the dock if I choose to for extra overtime. Im going into a bid thats more like a shuttle driver, all hourly, 7pm start time mon-fri

Only cons is losing my friday night... but oh well what am I gonna do. Runs are limited as its just a small terminal. Spoke to the drivers, they all seemed really reall really happy there. Road test was as easy as YRC's pretty much just a few turns and the guy goes you pass. Tractors are a lot nicer as well, heck even come with radios. I drove one of the brand new one today..

backround check going, if it is good Im gonna take it... Although I do like being on my own, I hatw driving 130 miles one way every weekend to hang with friends. Be living at my dads this time though, he works days ill be on nights and its just us 2 so it will be good

8. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    ACH, sounds good! I think you're making a good decision. You're young still and I think UPSF would be good for you. To heck with YRC. Lately I've begun not to trust them, again. A little worried with this place and I'm keeping my options open. My friend wants me to run dedicated again. I think this time I'm gonna do it. 3 trips to Denver a week and home on weekends. Will be tough in the winter though. Pays 1380 a week. Good enough for me.

9. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    yea especially with the whole attempt to buy ABF, extend the contract and take away pensions... That got me a little sour towards them. Even if they said for the contract you get back 3 years for the next 5 years wouldve been ok as well. With all the brand new tractors and trailers coming in I can understand the equipment is needed... but to try to buy another company and still refuse to give us back our money I mean c'mon.

I dont blame you on that job though. If your staying out a night and back home like now you might as well, your doing that now at reddaway, and this seems to pay better so why not?

10. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    You'll be glad you did it in 15 years when the senior guys start retiring and leave you with a 5 hour daytime run making about $80,000 with free medical insurance lol

11. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Id rather have a night run still, NY traffic is too intolerable to deal with during the day

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.