Do you let other trucks know when you spot a defect?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by double yellow, Apr 11, 2013.

Do you alert other drivers to mechanical defects?

1. *

Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. *

No

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. *

Sometimes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    I'm working on the upgrade as well. Got the radio tuned I'm going to pick up the mount bracket for mirror a good cable and a 6ft fire stick. Total up grade 130 bucks.

mje and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAGE 18

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    I find people on the I 5 LA to the bay most helpful on channel 7. I hit 17 or 19 and all you hear is crickets.

mje Thanks this.
  4. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    I do sometimes, and I'm glad people have done it for me. Like a few months ago I had a guy holler at me to tell me that my left turn signal lamp on the trailer wasn't flashing when I changed lanes. Well by golly it was working 10 minutes ago when I did my walk around. So I stopped again and checked... still working... until I decided to jiggle the pigtail and discovered that it had a short and only failed while I bounced down the road. He saved me from certain grief at the WB Billings coop later that day when I got inspected.

:biggrin_25523:

5. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    I tell them and if they give me that ######## comment i offer to stop and help them fix both issues. had one taker and when we hit the side and i walked back fixed his truck and told him time for you he thanked me shock my hand and we left. As for the stupid radio crap i just flip the switch and key up for a few seconds normaly when i let off i hear people saying how quite it got....lol

mje Thanks this.
  6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I'm not going to give up "bro" and I wouldn't want some dummy driving down the road with a wheel wobbling about to fall off driving clueless beside my wife on the road, would you?

The DOT needs to spend more time worrying about these trucks that are un-safe on the road and less time nit-picking through good drivers' logbooks...

Ruthless and mje Thank this.
  7. Trucker Bug

Trucker Bug Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    California
    Yes. Typically I'll call out on the cb, try to reach them. If they don't respond I'll run up on their side and try to flag them down.

Ive seen it all. Doors flapping open. Haz placards faking off. Lights that are out. Flat tires and wheels that look like they're going to fall off

I figure I'd like someone to give me a heads up if my truck has issues so I do it for them. DOT has an easy enough time writing citations, why make it easier

mje Thanks this.
  8. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Thing I see the most is pigtails that have come undone. Usually hanging on the quarter fender.

mje Thanks this.
  9. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    i tried to tell some guy in arkansas the other day his trailer door was just flapping around in the breeze and many others did too but never got a response and as i was in my 62 mph dog i couldnt catch up to wave anything at him. someone finally got his attention i saw him on the off ramp near west memphis trying to fix it with a hammer

mje Thanks this.
  10. osokusmc

osokusmc Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2011
    SD
    I was in a pickup one time on the 405 north of Bellevue, WA. I saw a straight truck in front of me with large racks about half full of rolls of fiberglass insulation and a large aluminum ladder tied on top of the racks, well the back was, the front had come untied and the ladder was lifting up about 45 degrees with the wind. I hurried up next to them and tried to flag them down but they were all giddy at the end of their day and smiling and showing me the beer they were drinking. There were three in the cab. I couldn't draw their attention to their load so I backed way off because I wanted to see it without getting any on me. Sure enough we came to an overpass and it caught that ladder. Their expressions had completely changed when I rolled by. I usually don't radio someone for a light out, but I will if they are dragging a strap, losing a tire, tarp coming apart, etc.

mje and allniter Thank this.
  11. RAGE 18

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Hey u know what driver iv had enough dang lip from dumb #### to let them know what I see. To each is own and let it be known the know it alls I found on 17 n 19. Whatever is clever I really don't care I just drop 5 on the speedo and let them go.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.