Do you let other trucks know when you spot a defect?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by double yellow, Apr 11, 2013.

Do you alert other drivers to mechanical defects?

1. *

Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. *

No

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. *

Sometimes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Or I just call the CHP on them iv done that about 5 times they will take care of it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Driver that's all mirror catches some people just can't use mirrors I for one will not get next to a truck bout to loose a tire or a truck smoking with no brakes if u are willing to put your ### on the line to let them know be my guest I will just dial 911 and report it then fall back ai t no rush for me "bro".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  4. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Mirrors, what those aren't fer lookin at my new hair doo?

I'm just trying to do what I feel is right, if I can't get there attention then Im passing them and I'm gone, get ahead of the accident waiting to happen.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I won't say anything that will alert a bear to which truck it is . I will say which truck just passed them or which truck they just passed .

x#1, volvodriver01 and starsonwindow Thank this.
  6. SGTSmokdU

SGTSmokdU Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'd appreciate it if you told me something was wrong with my truck!!

Sent from your iPhone via my Galaxy Nexus!

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I usually get on the CB and tell a driver when I see something that is wrong on his truck. I had a strap come loose on my truck not long ago. I could not see it until I stopped. I could not believe that there wasn't a single driver who would not take the time to either call on the CB or come up beside me and say something. We don't have the same quality of drivers today as we did a few years ago. Only 10 years ago someone would have found a way to get my attention to let me know about the strap. I am just glad that I saw it before the DOT.

8. j3411

j3411 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Buckner, Il
    It always kills me when someone calls out the truck name, the direction they're going and the defect. If it's a must call for you, then call the truck, see if they answer, ask them to go to another channel and THEN tell them what you see. Don't broadcast it on 19. Bears monitor 19 also. Why give them any more info than they need? It's nice to help a driver out, putting it on 19.... not so much.

9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida

While I can somewhat empathize with your position, I really don't see a problem with it. The driver can immediately pull over (or as soon as it is safe to do so) and rectify/fix the situation or if the situation warrants, call someone who can. No reason for continuing on with known problems or defects especially if it's deemed a safety issue.

10. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't see many bears with CBs anymore. Their spare time is spent surfing the web on their in-car laptops while chatting to their girlfriend on the cell phone.

Most times I try to tell a driver something wrong I get dead silence back except trucks going opposite way and I let them know they have a black eye. Usually get a come back then.

Sometime if it's not a big issue I'll keep it to myself. Or for example I saw Maverick driver with some steel about 3 ft overhang off the rear with no red flag. I just took a picture and was gonna post on TTR so we all could laugh at him! Never got around to it though.

11. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    A little bit paranoid are we?

Let me ask you, when someone says hey swift take it up to 25, how often do you think curiosity kills the cat and more than just the swifty go to 25 to see what they wanted?

Secondly, if I can notice something wrong with your equipment, so can Mr. Smokey bear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.