Do you lock your differential in while driving in snow with chains on?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by YOUNGSTER, Oct 1, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Every time I got through or out of a mudhole back in my flatbed days and return to the yard requiring a truckwash adminstered by a peon.. I always get yelled at.

One time I had dipped the left steer into three foot and it was bottomless. I slammed the power on and wrapped around the wheel, she came out of there for me I get back to the yard and the entire door is covered, steer is buried fuel tank is gone and so on so forth.

Safety boxx collars me and says what did you do to my truck there.

So I told him. He could only babble. And then order a truck wash from a peon and a DOT inspection of the entire tractor by morning 3 am. I think that shop hate me. When frederick closed up the 76 pernamently, I thought enough of DM Bowman to bring in outside flatbed trucks and trailers to have them work on it for money via comcheck. they did a good job.

They still did not like me lolz.

I will always have a special place for that old 87 cabover from freightliner. It always did everything I asked of it. It got sold out from under me one day.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I knew a guy that swore by those cables instead of chains. Easy to put on,( he claimed) and could do 40 mph with them.( he also claimed) We didn't get much snow in the Ark. River Valley last year, maybe 3-4 inches total. Up in the passes, different story, and CDOT has no sense of humor. I know a guy that drove a mail straight truck over Monarch Pass, and he said, it wasn't bad at all, yet on the other side, cops were waiting and gave him a $600 ticket for failure to chain up. It was his last trip.
    I drove a new(at the time) KW that had that traction control crap, boy was that ever a pain. A power divider can get you into trouble, like posi in a car, and probably best to get out of the hole, then shut it off for rolling. I still say, if you have to chain up, must be pretty important freight, and it's not worth risking your life for a load of diapers ( or whatever) Camp out, and wait for the salt shaker.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.