Do you look at safety ratings before you decide to drive for them

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by katlyn, Aug 27, 2018.

Do you look at carriers' safety ratings before agreeing to work for them??

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    The best thing to do is check the score yourself, then call and ask the recruiter for the information you already know, and laugh as they fumble for an answer.

Rocks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Absolutely I DO! I check everything I can under the sun about a potential new carrier.... I always have about 75 questions (sometimes more) for the carrier, dispatchers (I like to interview EVERYBODY), log people (if they have those), payroll, safety dept., maintenance, shop, mechanics, director of this and that and even the CEO.. That's what I did with my actual company... It's a small company though... I drove alllll the way from TN to OKC just to interview everybody.. including drivers.. those are the most important... they will tell you more than anybody else...
    One of the reasons I chose the company I'm with now was because of their EXCELLENT safety record, and their equipment. Have been with them for over 5 yrs now and gone thru level I only twice. It's such a breeze to go thru the DOT inspection stations and always get that green ... But of course, I do my part in making sure the equipment is compliant and my weight is legal.
    BTW, when I interview companies that don't give me all the answers, I know they are not for me.... :biggrin_25512:
    There was one, I asked the dispatchers what mph they used when calculating duration of a trip... they smiled at each other :biggrin_25511: and said I was asking "too much".... :biggrin_25523: They said some of their trucks were governed at 70 others at 72 and 75... I checked their CSA score and found a lot of HOS violations, speeding and minor maintenance violations... :biggrin_2552: I bet they push their drivers... regardless of their hrs, equipment problems, etc.....
    I would not drive for a company like that... :biggrin_25512:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've never checked a CSA score a day in my life. I try to practice good legal habits, but it seems that I'm learning a new regulation daily. The only ones who seem to get targeted more regularly are small fleets and owner operators. They will get megas sometimes but not to the level of the small business man. When I worked for a medium size to mega, I never got inspected. Now that I work for a mom and pop, I hold my breath every time I cross a scale. I've been k spectee more times with this company than any other company.

5. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I do and I also take a hard look at their equipment. If their trailers are rust buckets I keep walking. Cheap trucks like Cretes, Im walking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.