do you remember this horrific school bus crash 2 years ago?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by buddyd157, Sep 28, 2020.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Bus company at fault for not firing the bad driver.

Bean Jr., stillwurkin, magoo68 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I do remember that! Because right away, everyone blamed the truck driver, the media was researching the dump trucks safety record. Then when it was discovered that the school bus made a U-turn on the highway, and the media didn't try to crucify the school bus. But a very very sad story.

alds, stillwurkin, buddyd157 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I thought of 3 other awful bus crashes when I read the title of the post. I hadn't even heard of the one here. It would be nice if the local guvment's would pay actual professionals to drive our children around. Glad mine walk to school. I tell them to watch out for school buses!

5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas

This is the worst one Texas ever had. 31 years ago last Monday. September 21, 1989.
    This time the truck driver was at fault but got off. Huge controversy when trial was going on.

stillwurkin and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i heard near the ending, that the driver claimed he was not trained to drive a truck?

how da heck did he even get hired to do the job?

i cannot recall ANYONE getting a trucking job, without some driving know how.

you had to have a license up here, it was not a CDL at that time, but known as a chauffer's license, to drive trucks.

you had to have that for driving trucks. i guess in that state, no such truck driving license was even required?

in any event, i hope to this day, he has nightmares for killing all those kids.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  7. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    I have driven trucks on and off for forty years and have never had an accident in any vehicle and my last moving violation was in a car twenty seven years ago.
    How did this guy get hired to transport children.

Roberts450 and Bud A. Thank this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It was a bad deal when it happened. Word on the “street” is the driver got Hoffa’d. No one has been able to locate him since then.
    Texas passed some laws down here in the aftermath. One was requiring every school bus and beverage distributor truck trailer to have a white strobe light on the roof. I think they have slowly adopted that nation wide at least on busses. Also. Blue Bird started putting bigger windows and added emergency exits on the sides and escape hatches in the roofs. Any one that has ever done any loads down in the Texas valley knows what the strobes look like on the beverage trucks.

Justoboy98 Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i do believe that here, only school buses have the strobe lights. they all also have 2 way radios as well. some have cameras for catching speeding cars, disregarding the flashing red lights.

as for extra emergency exits, or larger windows, frankly, i had not taken any notice, but i'll "surmise" that might very well be industry standard now. i do see many new school buses, but i do not recognize the symbol on the grille area. all i do know is, that it does not look like the blue bird logo.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Pays to run a dash cam in many ways.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You are absolutely right! I have 3

650cat425 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.