Do you report bad drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Dec 17, 2016.

1. prisonerofthehighway

prisonerofthehighway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    The short answer to your question is yes. You always have to ask yourself " what if my family was around this driver, would they be in jeopardy of getting hurt or worse?" Don't believe the hype of how truckers supposedly take care of one another and watch each other's back. That practice went out the door in the early 80's. It is everyone's responsibility to report that kind of behavior. Unsafe driving in a big rig is probably the biggest problem of truckers. This and throwing bottles with errrrr in it at wal mart too LOL Whether they are driving crazy because of getting jerked around at the shipper, or just feel like superman in that seat, no load is worth putting their lives or anyone else's on the line. If it causes problems for whoever is driving that way, oh well. Your phone call could save someone's life including the idiot driving like that, you might never know if you do save one, but that is a chance that I would personally take anytime.

JReding Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Wow.
    Did you see the part where he was actually drinking and driving? Last I checked, that's highly illegal.
    Wait, that's probably being too judgemental...

MrEd Thanks this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I think al was being a smart ###...

5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Depends on the state.

It's illegal to drive under the influence in every state. But a few states don't prohibit drinking and driving, so long as the driver is not under the influence or above the BAC limit.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    If you feel a driver is so dangerous that you must call it in then do so. But when talking to the dispatcher be honest, don't exaggerate. While you may think you may be saving a life by getting a cop out to get this menace off the highway you're potentially costing another life by tying up resources that could be needed elsewhere.

Getsinyourblood and not4hire Thank this.
  7. BriteTrucker

BriteTrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I always report bad drivers when I see them driving recklessly. Better let the company know about their driver before he (or she) cause any accident.

JReding Thanks this.
  8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    We all do stupid things once in awhile but I think you can tell when you're watching a driver that has a pattern a reckless driving and endangerment. I've called the cops on a couple of them and give them the details location at cetera but I never did see anyone pulled over as a result.

9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Absolutely. You are assuming he only had 3. I was not assuming anything. He was clearly and openly drinking and driving. He just as easily could have bought a 6 pack to go after having a dozen others at the bar he was at.

10. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    We recently passed a pickup in Illinois with the driver smoking a fat one. Entire cab was filled with smoke.

My student and I laughed our ##### off. Then we continued about our business.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  11. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    It just depends on the situation. Stuff happens on the road and if you report everything you see, that's about all you will be doing. If it is a serious situation, report it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.