Do you shutdown when the 14 hour clock is up no matter what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by A Bug, Mar 5, 2015.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Patty is one of those professional advice givers that I mentioned earlier. You make a good point IH, she admits that she will break the law if the money is right. Care to comment on that Patty?

jdiesel3406, JJKid, DrtyDiesel and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    After looking over my logs I can say I always shutdown within the 14 hour window in the US.

4. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    Let's get real people. Stuff happens. Let's say this guy is the best trip planner ever to plan a trip but he comes upon something that delays him for 30-60 min, accident, weather, whatever. Would you guys really shut down for 20 miles? I'll be the first to admit unless I feel like I'm a danger I'm going on and not going to be late. Most likely that 20 minutes will cost you 24 hours and 20 min if you shut down. I'm not a fan of working 14 hours a day anyway, I'm more a 10-12 hour guy but a little common sense needs to be applied every once in a while.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  5. unknown_substance

unknown_substance Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2014
    If you didn't take more than 10 hours on your rest break and took your 30 minute break after 7 hours of driving you probably wouldn't be in that situation.......but the only thing you could do now is just push on and get that load delivered.

6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    A guy at our company (no longer works here) shut himself down 3 miles ON THE RAMP from the customer due to his 14 being out. Needless to say, the OTR dispatcher was completely devastated. Lmao.

7. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    In that case it could possibly be covered by adverse driving conditions. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/395

8. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
  9. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hendersonville, TN
    Yes, you could use the adverse driving conditions but there will be an audit from the FMCSA if this is used and they will look at EVERYTHING to prove it was abused or not warranted.

10. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    If you were operating legally?

11. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Yes.

That's why these rules and regulations are full of ####. I've met a few(KEYWORD FEW!!!) competent DOT troopers that understand then you have those self-absorbed ignorant DOT Troopers who will use everything and anything against you and throw the book at you. Now, I dare ya to run over your 14 and extend it due to adverse conditions and get stopped.... you'll see what happens. Or that silly ######## "safe haven" rule. Lol. It's all crock of ####.

Officer: Do you realize you're over your 14?
    Trucker: Sir, due to weather conditions...
    Officer: Doesnt matter. should of known the weather was going to be like this. BAM! SHUT DOWN, VIOLATIONS, ECT.

Officer: Do you realize you're over your 14?
    Trucker: Sir, there's not another truck stop or safe place to park for the next 10 miles
    Offier: Doesnt matter. should of preplanned and stopped before your 14. BAM! SHUT DOWN, VIOLATIONS, ECT.

It's a losing battle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.