Do you stop and help?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ridgeline, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just wondering for those experienced drivers out there about this situation.

You see a truck on fire or starting to catch fire, do you stop and help or drive by?

The reason I ask is I reviewed this video for one of our meetings and the question will be asked to my drivers.

I won't add my thoughts, they are not important but thank God for the officer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Personally, I always try to stop and help folks in a bad spot. I would stop

If I had drivers in my trucks. No way would i want them to

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Twice. Although technically only pulled over and stopped to block traffic once.
    I have done before on 1-35 in New Braunfels Tx. 2 car’s hit each other and one caught fire under engine from fuel dripping on asphalt. Was probably in 2012 or so. That is were a 5lb. comes in more handy then the 2.5lb.
    In 2009 I also put out a grass fire that started at a business I was delivering too. 100 degree dry day an office mgr pulled his Mercedes into his designated park space nose over curb and grass underneath engine and after 10 or so minutes caught fire. Grabbed the one out of the truck and put it out.
    Sad thing is nobody offered to pay to have my extinguishers refilled. Lol!

5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You know @Ridgeline back in the cb days even 15 years ago I believe there would have been no trucks passing through that scene. After the first one went through the cb would have lit up and drivers woulda stopped and blocked lanes behind the crash. The trucks going through while the officer and bystander are still trying to get the driver off the road is just friggen’ heartless.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Who gives a ####, until it's you. Back in the day we helped each other. Folding tarps or broke down it's the right thing to do.

Bud A., Wargames, flood and 22 others Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The question isn't whether or not you should stop. The question is how could you NOT stop. If someone's life is in danger and you could help, you have a moral obligation to give whatever aid you can.
    It's called being a human being.

Bud A., Siinman, Swine hauler and 29 others Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    nearly all my loads were of a hazmat nature, no matter how small in quantity.....it was still placarded.. i'd not have stopped.

but as a general rule of mine..??

i didn't stop, someone else will

9. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    In this day and age, a driver that stopped to help could face termination from the company. That load is more important than some anonymous other driver.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    There're times you don't. That would be one of them.

11. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    For me it would depend. If I was one of the first on scene then definitely yes. A few weeks ago I had a 4 wheeler about a 1/4 mile ahead drive off the road and roll over on I-84 in Idaho. I started to pull over in front of the scene but noticed by then several other vehicles were pulling over so I kept on going.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.